Custom tax

Good afternoon

I recently sold and shipped some items to Brazil. This is my first time sneding items abroad. 

I sent via royal mail with a tracking order and completed the customs form at the post office.

The buyer is now saying that they have been taxed on £500 of goods instead of £50 of goods.

They have asked me to contact the Customs of Brazil or they asking for a refund and then return it to them with the customs declaration filed out correctly.

Has anyone had anything like this before?

I don't want to get involved in returns but I don't know where I stand. I don't have a photo of the customs label as it was done at the post office. 

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

Custom tax

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

Sounds like somebody put an extra zero on the value field on the customs label.

Do you have the tracking number?

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

Custom tax

Hi

Yes, I do have the tracking number at home. Will this confirm the value?

Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

Custom tax

@*vyolla* wrote:

Sounds like somebody put an extra zero on the value field on the customs label.

Do you have the tracking number?

Or Brazillian Customs have misread the figure?  

Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

Custom tax

papso22
Experienced Mentor

Do not refund and do not try and contact Customs in Brazil.  The buyer will have enough information from the listing and payment details to challenge the Custom's declaration themselves.  I assume it should only have been £50?

Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

Custom tax

@lincolnladybird wrote:

Hi

Yes, I do have the tracking number at home. Will this confirm the value?

No, but it will enable both you and your buyer to work out where the item is at any given time.

As @papso22 has pointed out, your buyer should be able to supply the order details and payment details to prove the value. 

If the CN22 does have an incorrect value declaration on it though, you may find that it gets returned to you (you can follow this via the tracking number) and then you'll need to refund the buyer.

Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

Custom tax

Thank you for your advice.

Yes, the value was £50.

The buyer is saying that they have tried to appeal it by showing the ebay listing and paypal but customs is not accepting it. 

They said "Translating they said doesn’t has a document from seller about the real price, I sent them a screenshot from PayPal and eBay, but “they said doesn’t has confirmation about purchase and items inside box”, "

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

Custom tax

Thank you. I can see that it is still sat in customs.

Will I have to pay to retrieve it if it gets sent back?

Any ideas how long this will take?

Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

Custom tax

@lincolnladybird wrote:

Thank you. I can see that it is still sat in customs.

Will I have to pay to retrieve it if it gets sent back?

Any ideas how long this will take?

It's basically how long is a piece of string. It can be anything from 2/3 weeks to months. 

You won't have to pay for the return.

Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent