Can I refuse delivery on an item and get a full refund?

The situation is as follows - I recently ordered a box of an item that is taking far too long to arrive and which, depending on how the courier treats it, may 'spoil'.

The items in question are some special nutrient drinks - they can of course take cold and warm-ish temperatures but not hot.

According to the tracking info the items in question have been kicking around one of the courier's depots for a few days now pending them bothering to deliver them to me and of course I have no idea if they may have been spoiled. Because of this I'm now thinking of refusing the delivery once they do arrive because naturally I don't want to give myself an upset stomach if the items have spoiled.

If I do refuse them what is the next course of action regarding how I lof this on Ebay ?

Thanks

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

plum993
Experienced Mentor

Do NOT refuse delivery as that will void any buyer protection and a refund.

Once the estimated Delivery date has passed you can open a not received case with ebay here for a refund, https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/returns-items-not-received-refunds-buyers/get-help-item-hasnt-arr...

Alternately,you wait for delivery then you can a open case of not as described if the drinks turn up spoilt, and the seller will have to send you a prepaid return label if they want them back and refund you within 3 days of getting them back if there returned https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/returns-refunds/returning-item?id=4041

"The secret of getting ahead is making a start"

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

Aren't they a sealed product? If so, I can't imagine that they've been exposed to high temperatures. With electricity bills as high as they are a mail depot isn't going to be heated to a high temperature, if at all.

If you refuse delivery you will lose your money.

What is the product?

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

plum993
Experienced Mentor

Do NOT refuse delivery as that will void any buyer protection and a refund.

Once the estimated Delivery date has passed you can open a not received case with ebay here for a refund, https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/returns-items-not-received-refunds-buyers/get-help-item-hasnt-arr...

Alternately,you wait for delivery then you can a open case of not as described if the drinks turn up spoilt, and the seller will have to send you a prepaid return label if they want them back and refund you within 3 days of getting them back if there returned https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/returns-refunds/returning-item?id=4041

"The secret of getting ahead is making a start"
Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

If the product is Ensure Plus then it should be stored at room temperature, so it should be fine:

https://static.abbottnutrition.com/cms-prod/abbottnutrition-2016.com/img/Ensure_Plus_datasheet_210KB...

Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

When did you order the item?

When you paid, you will have received an email from Ebay with a short range of estimated delivery dates.  You should expect your parcel to arrive by the latest estimated delivery date.

If you find that the drinks are actually spoiled, you would have to open a return case.

However, it is unlikely that this will happen.  Most depots, warehouses etc, are cold, rather than warm or hot and, if this is a long life product, the temperature won't really affect it.  If that is a real concern for you, then why are you buying such items online?

To answer your question, if you refuse delivery, you will not be covered by the Ebay Money Back Guarantee.  You should accept your parcel and only open a return if there is actually something wrong with the contents.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

Thanks for all of the very helpful replies.

The items were originally stated as due for delivery on Mon 15 Apr - Tue 16 Apr, now the courier is stating via online tracking a delivery date of Saturday 20th April, but the seller (who has been most helpful) made enquiiries today and the courier is giving the seller a delivery date of Monday 22nd April.

These are 'Ensure Plus' nutrient drinks.

It does though sound like, from what you've all said, that the drinks shouldn't spoil, so that gives me some hope.

What would you advise given the fact that the delivery date has now slipped somewhat?

Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

@jammaman999 wrote:

What would you advise given the fact that the delivery date has now slipped somewhat?

Looking at the manufacturers information these will be fine, but I wouldn't be overjoyed about the late delivery and would be ticking the box that says they didn't arrive in time when you leave feedback.

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

It's up to you. If you're unhappy about using it eBay gives you the right to treat items that are delivered late as being "not as described". If you open a case under eBay's money back guarantee you will receive a full refund including delivery. The seller will be required to send you a prepaid label if they want the item to be returned.

See eBay's money back guarantee: https://pages.ebay.co.uk/ebay-money-back-guarantee/

Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

redwick1
Experienced Mentor

Eba accept delivered or attempted delivery

If you refuse the item then you void your money back guarantee.

How long are they over due?.

You should give the items time to arrive but can open a Not received dispute one day after the latest estimated day of delivery on the listing

If they do not arrive then you escalate after a full 4 days to get your money back.

You open the dispute by going to the item in your Purchase History or ebay help at the top of the page.

We are just ordinary members trying to help.
Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent