Buying an item with a false description.

I have bought a dvd set that dosn't work on my player as it is the wrong region I have sent the dvd back to the seller who is now refusing a refund because the 30 day period has expired,I was away when the item arrived,and after communication with the seller they told me that it was fine to play in region2. When I checked the box it was for region 1. Can I now get a refund from EBay for allowing goods to be sold through them with a false description.Surely this in breach of the sale of goods act.

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

Seller is - for whatever reason - within his rights to rely on 30 day rule through eBay.    I am not sure what you mean by "sent it back".  If you opened a case [as you should] seller would have rejected the case there. You seem to be in the situation therefore of "no item/no refund".  If a private seller there is nowhere realistically to go except that if you paid through Paypal you have 180 days to open a case there.

If it is a business seller you may have rights which Trading Standards might help with.

Some players will play all regions.   @19maslen20 

Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

eBay's rules are, you have 30 days in which to open a case for item not as described,  and if the seller does not refund you within 3 days,  you do need to escalate the case.  eBay then,  step in and force the refund.

If you fail to escalate and do nothing,  the case closes through inactivity,  and you cannot open another case for the item with eBay.

What you can do now,  is to turn to your paymennt provider for help with this refund.

Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent