Buyer has lodged a false return request.

Nine days after receiving an item, the buyer has lodged a return request stating that the item doesn't match the photos or description. This is blatantly not true as the photos and description were sourced directly from the manufacturer's website. I've asked the buyer for more details on the alleged "discrepancy" but they haven't responded. 
I don't want to accept the return but I don't seem to have that option. What should I do next?

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

As advised, because you are trading (buying to sell) you are a business seller using a private account.

You need to have a legal returns policy and accept returns for any reason, including change of mind.

You cannot, in any case, refuse a return opened for an item 'not as described'.

You need to accept the return and issue a label to get the item back.

If you had a proper returns policy and your buyers could exercise their rights under the Consumer Rights Act, you might avoid some 'not as described' claims and buyers could be asked to pay return postage.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

you have no choice but to accept and issue a prepaid returns label.

your buyers have virtually unlimited Rights as you are a business seller trading as a private seller in violation of eBay rules and the law - so buyers can return for any reason.

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

If you used a stock photo it will likely show the item in the very best light possible and your buyer may have been disappointed that it didn't look as good as the manufacturers professional photo (I always take photos of the actual item and add them to the listing too).

Buyers have 30 days to return an item that they consider is not as described under eBay's Money Back Guarantee, and if your buyer has already opened an eBay item not as described return they'll be required to send it back to you for a full refund of their original payment, and you'll need to provide them with a pre-paid returns label (if you don't provide a label, the buyer can escalate the dispute and get one from eBay, who will re-charge you for it on your next invoice).

You will get a defect against your selling account if you don’t accept the return and the buyer escalates the dispute to ask eBay to step in, which they can do after 3 days.

Once you get your item back, if you feel that your buyer has misused eBay’s Money Back Guarantee you can use the Report Buyer link next to the item in your My eBay. This won't affect the outcome of the return case though.

Guidance for responding to a return request can be found on this eBay page:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/handle-return-request-seller?id=4115&st...

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

Ah, I've just noticed that you should be trading on a business account, not a private one, your buyer may return the item to you if they wish.

A private seller is one who is just selling off their own personal items such as clothes from their wardrobe, bits from their loft/garage etc. They do not have brand new multiples of items. 

A Business seller is someone who buys or makes items to sell on.  They need to be registered as a business to meet the requirements of UK law. They need to declare income to HMRC once they reach £1,000 worth of sales (eBay will be providing HMRC with your details anyway so it's vital to keep correct accounts for your tax return). You can obviously offset more expenses as a business seller, but can't offset any at all as a private one.  

To correctly register as a business seller simply go to your Personal Information in your account and to the right of Account Type, which will be showing as 'Individual'  you'll see an Edit option.

https://accountsettings.ebay.co.uk/profile

This doesn't affect your feedback profile or any current listings, it merely upgrades your account so that you're legally compliant. 

If you're also selling your own items, just open another eBay account (you can have more than one).

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

As advised, because you are trading (buying to sell) you are a business seller using a private account.

You need to have a legal returns policy and accept returns for any reason, including change of mind.

You cannot, in any case, refuse a return opened for an item 'not as described'.

You need to accept the return and issue a label to get the item back.

If you had a proper returns policy and your buyers could exercise their rights under the Consumer Rights Act, you might avoid some 'not as described' claims and buyers could be asked to pay return postage.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent