Buyer collected and now claims item is defective.

I recently sold an espresso machine, a large high value item. 

The buyer collected the espresso machine and travelled 2.5hrs to collect it from another part of the UK. Birmingham to East Yorkshire. 

One week later they are claiming it's defective and having electric issues. Naturally when it sold it was in good working order and no issues. 

My concern now is that any resolution will result in the machine not being returned being so far and money also being lost, a lose lose in this case. 

Not sure how to handle this situation from this point! Do I escalate and hope for the best? Offer refund and pray they bring it back? 

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

how did the buyer pay?

If you escalate a not as described case the buyer will win.

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

As they have opened a 'not as described' case claiming the iten they bought is defective, it is your responsibility to arrange for the return.

You can't ask the buyer to return it - well you could but they may well say no.

So, you can communicate with the buyer and arrange to go and get it back yourself, or you can arrange for a courier to collect it.  If you don't arrange for the item to be returned at your expense, then the buyer can ask Ebay to step in.  Ebay will refund from your bank account and tell the buyer they don't need to return the item.

For £650, I would go and get it or find a 'man with a van' to go and collect it.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

As they collected it, did they pay cash or paid before collection?

If cash, then the buyer has no claim through Ebay and you do not need to accept any return.  

If not then DO NOT refund until you get the item back. Its your responsibility to arrange and pay for the return, which could be costly but offering a partial refund maybe an option.  

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

Seems I missed a few things off, the buyer paid through eBay and not cash on collection. 

I also suspect that the item was installed incorrectly which lead to the damage, based of the photos supplied from his evidence. 

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

I assume they have opened a return case through Ebay.

If they have, 'the clock is ticking'.

If you don't provide a label or arrange a return within 3 days of the case being opened, the buyer can ask Ebay to step in.

If Ebay intervene, they will take the buyer's word that the item is faulty and may refund the buyer without them having to return the item.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent