A BUYER IS INSISTING ON PURCHASING THE ITEM FOR SALE BY PAY PAL

MY POTENTIAL PURCHASER SEEMS TO BE FRAUDULENT AND IS INSISTING ON THE PURCHASE BEING VIA PAY PAL NOT VIA EBAY. I AM WARY AND HAVE SAID NO BUT I FEEL THAT OTHERS SHOULD BE  ALERTED THIS. There dos not appear to be a mechanism for reporting this more widely than banning them from bidding on my items???? Is there? 

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

red_magpie
Experienced Mentor

If you're talking about the campervan you were right to refuse PayPal. You would be left high and dry if the buyer funded the payment from a debit or credit card account, and later staged a chargeback to claim their payment back. There is no seller protection for motor vehicles and the campervan would probably be out of the country before you even knew that anything was wrong.

It is of course possible that your buyer knows the risks of buying a motor vehicle through eBay, and thought they could protect themselves from this by paying by PayPal. However, unlike most other purchases eBay does not require sellers to accept Paypal for motor vehicle sales, so they can't insist on this.

You can't "inform others" but about this buyer but could could try reporting them here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/resolving-buyer-issues/report-issue-buyer?id=4084&st=12&pos=1&qu...

However, there's no proof of any fraudulent intent; the buyer was entitled to express a wish to pay by PayPal and you are equally entitled to refuse. I doubt whether eBay will do anything unless they win the vehicle, and then don't pay, when you could use the unpaid item cancellation procedure. This would return your selling fee and eBay would place an unpaid item strike on the buyer's account.

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

Adding to Red Magpies excellent advice do not accept payment for the campervan through ebay, only accept cash or ank transfer on pickup as your buyer can easily do a chargeback later, as advised.

******************************************************************************************