what are your oldest and best loved clothes?

It was very cold the other day.  So cold I discarded my cap and wore my Russian fur hat.  My late father bought that for me as a Christmas present back in 1963!  That's fifty years ago!  Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL  He paid the princely sum of £2.00 for it at Selfridges in Oxford Street.  It's still as good as the day he bought it,  I've still got the original suit I wore before I got married!  Princess Anne is noted for never changing her style, wearing the same coat year after year.  

Anybody here got clothes that predate mine?          

Message 1 of 17
See Most Recent
16 REPLIES 16

I have my Christening gown from 1952 if that counts, but for some reason I don't wear it much.

Message 2 of 17
See Most Recent

The clothes  I had in 1963 wouldn't fit me now Frederick as I was only 6 at the end of that year and I'll be 57 soon.

A few years ago, I bought two duffel coats - one red and one green - and I've only just started wearing them in the last week or so.  They are lovely and warm and I don't honestly know why haven't worn them for the last few winters.

Message 3 of 17
See Most Recent

It's like the donkey Jacket.  Blocks out all the freezing wind.  I never realised just how effective it was until I bought one.  All these fancy anoraks you buy now are all show - they look good, but they're full of cheap, synthetic material which doesn't block the wind.  I'd like a good pair of gloves, but the only ones that fit me are industrial leather gardening gloves.  I have wide hands, and gloves fro BHS etc. are too narrow.

Message 4 of 17
See Most Recent

Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 17
See Most Recent

I was only just turned four fifty years ago so the same applies I don't think they would fit me either.
I would have to say a full length Drovers riding coat that I have from twenty years ago nothing gets through that & I wear it on bad days when walking the dog along with a fifteen year old pair of field boots that are so comfortable. The only thing that is younger than that is my drovers hat which is about twelve years old. It looks a bit out of place here but I don't care ,they are warm & keep me dry!.lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 6 of 17
See Most Recent

Until a couple of years ago I used to have a pink jumper.  It had been my daughter's but when she didn't want it any more I had it.  It was warm and comfortable. One day she mentioned that it used to be hers when she was 14.  She was 40 when she pointed this out!  Woman LOL

Message 7 of 17
See Most Recent

UNDERPANTS.................................................( I'm only joking............honest ).

Message 8 of 17
See Most Recent

I cant predate yours Fred, but my friend can

He has a shirt that he bought when he was 16

It just about still fits him now, and he is 68

I dread to think how many times it has been washed, but it is still in good nick with original buttons

Photobucket
Message 9 of 17
See Most Recent

I don't have a lot of old clothes as I tend to pass them on to charity shops or sell them if they are a good make.  I do have a pair of long Dublin boots that I use for dog walking as you can fit a long thick pair of socks inside so they are toasty.

Message 10 of 17
See Most Recent

lambsy_uk
Conversationalist

@5129frederick wrote:

It was very cold the other day.  So cold I discarded my cap and wore my Russian fur hat.  

Good to see someone not fussed about wearing fur either!

Message 11 of 17
See Most Recent

I am very fortunate to have a fantastic Tuxedo (Jacket and Trousers) my dad bought in the 1950s and passed onto me about 20 years ago.

It's made of heavy woolen cloth and would cost a fortune for me to buy something of such quality. I have worn is to many work Christmas dinners, New Year parties and other Black Tie events, I love it!

Message 12 of 17
See Most Recent

You'd be very lucky to find someone to make such a quality suit let alone buy it!. lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 13 of 17
See Most Recent

Yer not wrong!  Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 17
See Most Recent

I have a coat that was my mothers. Its a genuine 40s  "New Look" (and I dont mean the shop) vintage green velvet coat . Its getting a bit worn, but I still love it.

PS she is going to be 90yrs old in a few weeks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please bear in mind that what you think I said may not be what I think I meant
Message 15 of 17
See Most Recent

I have my mum's scarves that still hold her scent & brings her close to me .

********************************************************************************
Be not inhospitable to strangers, lest they be Angels in disguise.

Message 16 of 17
See Most Recent

Am very envious, bookworm! I have got a 1940s little black dress that I bought about 20 years ago, but the garment I've had the longest is a navy vest I bought in 1968.  A bit faded but still wearable!

Message 17 of 17
See Most Recent