"Problems" on what to do with £107,000,000,900,000.00 - Euromillions win

Somebody's just claimed it!  

"Darling, would you like an island for you anniversary?"

"No thank you Sweetheart, I already have three." Smiley LOL

And yet despite the almost unimaginable sudden wealth, there are a surprising number of people who cannot just pack up and wander off into the sunset, never to be seen again.  G.P's under contract with the Government, dentists, surgeons, high ranking military personnel, airline pilots. those in the Royal Navy.  Even the skipper of a cruise liner.  He can't just say:"This ship docks at Barbados and goes no further."  It's rather easier for "normal" people who are not tied to their jobs.

Most people who opt for no publicity do so not because of the sudden surge of begging letters - just go on a four-month cruise and by the time you get home all that nonsense would have died a natural death.  No, the reason they don't want publicity is because of relatives and in-laws who actually feel  entitled to receive a share out - your third cousin twice removed demanding to be put through university.  In my case, wealth like that would go unnoticed.  I'd upgrade my car, but not a new one.  I'd buy a five year old Mercedes.  Good car, but it wouldn't stand out like crabs eyes.  Buy a new Merc, and you're asking for trouble - every yob down the road would carve his initials on the bodywork.  The only thing I would do, would be to carry on claiming my pension - I worked for it, and hard, so I'd be a fool just to leave that to one side.  I'd also get the money out of this country just as fast as I could because money goes absolutely nowhere - that is why people in the know spend small fortunes on paintings or buying gold.  Being a recluse, I have no friends.  I have no idea who my neightbours are, bar a cursory nod if I happen to see them getting into their car.  None of my so-called relatives are in contact with me which suits me fine.  I'd concentrate on helping those who'd stood by me thick and thin.   

Message 1 of 20
See Most Recent
19 REPLIES 19

I would get a smallholding and some pet sheep, goats, a few chickens etc. Maybe another dog. And I would turn the central heating on without having to worry about the bill. Don't want anything fancy, just a nice, simple life. I've never been bothered about materialistic  things.

Message 2 of 20
See Most Recent

I'm with you, Carol, I'd get a smallholding and rescue as many animals as I could. Would be perfectly happy with that:-)
Message 3 of 20
See Most Recent

The usual, pay off the mortgage, buy a nice house with no neighbours, new car, nice holiday to New Zealand and Australia, buy my son a flat.  I would make donations to my favourite charities.  Oh and give up work.  I would spend it unwisely probably,

Message 4 of 20
See Most Recent

pay off the mortgage, buy a nice house with no neighbours, new car, nice holiday to New Zealand and Australia, buy my son a flat.  I would make donations to my favourite charities.  Oh and give up work.  I would spend it unwisely probably,

Message 5 of 20
See Most Recent

Sorry about the duplicate, it said I couldn't post the message but it did it anyway.  Mabe give some to ebay to sort out their software.

Message 6 of 20
See Most Recent

I would have no trouble using the money! I have two children & three grandchildren whose lives I could make a lot easier for the rest of their lives. I wouldn't move but would spend a fortune on my house & garden. New car of course. Private medical treatment too & a holiday every year. 

Our Coastguard Helecopter is being scrapped so I would try & save that. Begging letters would be dealt with by am agency that I would pay to shred them!

That's it off the top of my head. What would you spend it on Frederick as you opened the subject?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 7 of 20
See Most Recent

OOhhhhh i thought someone on here had won and was having trouble deciding what to do ha ha LOL.

I would want to get a big place where i could have staff to clean and cook. And i would want lots of Cats and other animals. A big indoor swimming pool and Jacuzzi. All the comforts.

And yes i would decide who to give some money too and do good with it aswell.

Woman Happy

Message 8 of 20
See Most Recent

Same as everyone else I guess simple pleasures, but with the exception I would love to be in the position to be able to fund a proper research centre that can get on with finding causes & cures for diseases human& animal. Without the government interfering !

**********Sam**********
Message 9 of 20
See Most Recent

I think there are a few too many 0s there - that more than the GDP of a number of countries added together -China for instance had a GDP of $8,227,102,629,831.00 in 2012,

That figure is 107 billion pounds . Lottery win? Don't think so. (or trillion if you are from the US)

What would I do with a substantial lottery win? Travel the world with a backpack - but in style of course Woman Wink

Message 10 of 20
See Most Recent

I think he means £107,900,000!

Message 11 of 20
See Most Recent

Well spotted - deliberate error - NOT!  Just as well I don't work in a bank!  Smiley LOL !!!Before you collect the cheque, if you are going to be most magnanimous and divide things equally amongst family and friends, get them to sign a paper stating they are members of a syndicate and you are acting head.  This is of IMPERATIVE IMPORTANCE.  Your well meaning intentions could seriously backfire if something unfortunate happened to you.

Nobody thinks it would ever happen to them, but if you "go west" within six years of your big win, those to whom you've changed their lives would immediately be hit with gift tax on your estate, which is quite heavy.  However, if you all sign and backdate a paper to BEFORE that magical date, stating you are part of a syndicate, they - the tax men, can't touch it.  He might smell a rat, but there is absolutely nothing he can do about it.  After the six years is up, he can't touch anybody.  Believe me, I do know what I am talking about.  I ran two syndicates at work.  A lottery syndicate and a Premium Bond syndicate, which was nothing but a headache.  My advice - don't even entertain the idea of running a syndicate - it's a thankless task!

Message 12 of 20
See Most Recent

As Paul Simon said in a song, I'd have diamonds on the soles of my shoes.

I know no one would see them - except my bank manager when I sit with my feet up on his desk.Woman LOL

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 13 of 20
See Most Recent

I used to work as an early morning cleaner in Boots, and when I'd been there about three months, we got a new colleague.  She had been a cleaner two years previously, and quite when she won the pools (do those even exist any more?).  She'd gone through over a million pounds in that time, and had to come back to work as they now needed the money - but she always said she'd had a jolly good time doing it!  They always say money doesn't make you happy - but she and her husband had had the times of their lives.  Me - I'd like the chance to investigate the happiness/unhappiness balance for myself!

Message 14 of 20
See Most Recent

Keep the 7million, invest the rest and give the interest to charity.  Could happily live off 7 million.

Message 15 of 20
See Most Recent

most would go to charity, I don't need or want that amount of money. My children would be helped but not too much - I don't want to take away their incentive to get out of bed and work every day. I really want to move to a smaller house but need to sell this one first - wouldn't have to worry about selling if I won even a relatively small amount.

Message 16 of 20
See Most Recent

The winner has now been named  Neil Trotter from Coulsdon in Surrey. He is a 41 yr old mechanic.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 17 of 20
See Most Recent

Ah my old mate Neil Trotter! Always said he was a diamond bloke. Shame his memory is so poor, he always forgets he knows me.

Message 18 of 20
See Most Recent

@wskneil wrote:

Ah my old mate Neil Trotter! Always said he was a diamond bloke. Shame his memory is so poor, he always forgets he knows me.

Smiley LOL

Yes, what an idiot for going public as he'll have every family member and too numerous "friends" with their hands out. that for a moment he never dreamt he had lol..

If he'd kept quiet for a while, he could give himself more time to think about who he'd like to help and what to do with his new found wealth.

Oh! Did I forget to mention we were at school together?! Smiley LOLSmiley Wink

Message 19 of 20
See Most Recent

I think if they go public they are offered help to 'fend off' the people that might take advantage of his good fortune as well as other forms of support. 

Message 20 of 20
See Most Recent