"20mph when lights flashing" sign --- mandatory or not?

These signs have appeared on a busy road outside a college recently.

The question is not about whether or not we should slow down outside a school or college as the answer is obvious. But this is what we have.....

A sign which states "20mph when lights flashing" on a rectangular sign  (not a circular white sign with a red surround which is the norm for speed limit signs.) There is no sign past the college (approx 100 yds further on) stating 30mpg again. The next 30mpg sign is 1 1/2 miles down the road.

I drive past at 8am every morning and there is no one about entering the college, I slow down to 20mph and then get overtaken by cars who's drivers then hurl abuse at me. Those who don't overtake me drive right up to my bumper. I have now become the "nuisance" every morning.

Question is.....Is this sign "advisory" or "mandatory" ? Remember there is no sign denoting the end to this speed limit. I just want to do the right thing.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Message 1 of 10
See Most Recent
9 REPLIES 9

They are advisory,  according to Google.

Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent

Couldn't find anything on the internet - do you have the link ?

Message 3 of 10
See Most Recent

I tried to c&p it but it wouldn't.

I just typed in more or less what you've asked in your title.  There was a letter sent  from someone to their local council, then there was a letter  (two in fact) from the council  sent in reply.

Message 4 of 10
See Most Recent

This looks like what you said.....

Variable 20mph limits

Traffic authorities have powers to introduce 20 mph speed limits that apply only at certain times of day. These variable limits may be particularly relevant where for example a school is located on a road that is not suitable for a full-time 20 mph zone or limit, such as a major through road.

It is also possible, instead of a formal enforceable speed limit, to place an advisory part-time 20mph limit sign, with flashing school warning lights. On the approach to a school. This can be a more cost-effective solution, where appropriate.

Message 5 of 10
See Most Recent

I just clicked on it chez and it took me to the letter I was referring to, thanks.

The answer to question two says see question one, and there is where it says it's advisory. Woman Happy

Message 7 of 10
See Most Recent

Thanks everyone.

I thought they may be mandatory as I've never seen any Police radar catching "speeders" !!

They're everywhere else in the area but not there !

Message 8 of 10
See Most Recent

Advisory or mandatory, it is there for a reason.

In my opinion, advisory speed limits are a waste of time, as most drivers simply ignore them.

Stick to your sig and ignore the abuse.

If you can,  take the reg numbers of the bumper huggers and report them, as this is illegal

Photobucket
Message 9 of 10
See Most Recent

Spped limits ignored?  Well I never.  Getting to rather enjoy being overtaken as though I am the little old granny who cannot find 1st gear(true!).   Had a chap up the exhaust the other day, so slowed down for no apparent reason, he swerved out ,gunned the accelertor and may well have cracked his suspension and his teeth on that particular pot hole. Obviously not a local.

Having said that our council has made some of our through estate roads 20mph.  Well that was what they said - so one drives through the estate at 30, winding in between parked cars and kids and drunks and zimmer frames, then just as you come out of the estate onto a wider road where kids don't play or cross it suddenly becomes 20.  Why?!!! Sometimes it don't make sense.

Message 10 of 10
See Most Recent