following on from dark castles posts

i promised to post more.........

so what have you got planned for xmas dinner

I have only three of the four boys and the girly, hubby and me.

they quite like turkey, but love the gammon....... so I usually get a huge gammon.. they nibble at it for a couple of days after.

one doesnt like gravy (who doesnt like gravy?) 

I love brussels...

parsnips kinda burnt ....... but i am the only one........ the rest get garden peas and carrots

yorkshire puddings they love them............. and thats an import from you lot that we have to thank for

I have commented on bread sauce? I would love to taste it........as It seems to be an integretal part of xmas dinner

dessert........... they dont care for.

Message 1 of 37
See Most Recent
36 REPLIES 36

i like turkey and oh likes beef so we get small turkey small beef and gammon and then spend the rest of christmas eating leftovers.

but with christmas dinner we will have roasties pigs in blankets sprouts carrots roast parsnips yorkshires and gravy..

NO bread sauce    but i will treat myself for afters and have christmas pud and brandy cream...

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 2 of 37
See Most Recent

Sounds lovely! Getting hungry! We're having Hog Roast (in freezer at mo) on Christmas Eve when youngest daughter comes round.  On Christmas Day it's just the 4 of us who live here, we're having turkey with all the trimmings, but trying to serve up smaller portions than last year, took ages to shift the weight gained!!

Message 3 of 37
See Most Recent

Neither of the two of us is keen on turkey so likely a bit of brisket or a roll of pork which we both love.

Message 4 of 37
See Most Recent

On Christmas Day I will probably have a duck breast with all the trimmings. Tirramissu for pud.:) When the family come on the 29th for 'Grannymas' we will have whatever they didn't have for thier roast. Might be turkey or lamb. Xmas pud, trifle & mince pies then. Love the after Xmas nibbles which this year will be New Year bibbles. I will have a gammon for then.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 5 of 37
See Most Recent

We'll have a large turkey because there'll be eleven of us who like it, and a piece of beef for those who like it.  Roast potatoes, new potatoes, stuffing balls,  Yorkshire puddings, pigs in blankets, carrots, sprouts, parsnips, peas, gravy and just one who likes cranberry sauce!  For afters it'll be Christmas pudding with cream or custard and/or some sort of lighter cream gateux type thing. 

Message 6 of 37
See Most Recent

Goose for us Christmas day, roasties, roast parsnips, brussel sprouts, carrots, broccoli, bread sauce and pigs in blankets.  Xmas pudd for afters for the boys nothing for me.

Brisket for Boxingday when the folks come round, I put it in about 4 in the morning and let it do its own thing until lunchtime.

Message 7 of 37
See Most Recent

Brisket's good in the slow cooker too.

Message 8 of 37
See Most Recent

Christmas Day would have been Turkey or a capon, Boxing Day either topside or pork loin or a gammon joint!.

**********Sam**********
Message 9 of 37
See Most Recent

@saasher2012 wrote:
Christmas Day would have been Turkey or a capon, Boxing Day either topside or pork loin or a gammon joint!.

heart

********************************************************************************
Be not inhospitable to strangers, lest they be Angels in disguise.

Message 10 of 37
See Most Recent

I am hoping to be helping out at the temporary shelter for the homeless, so it will be whatever we end up cooking there.

We usually manage some sort of soup, often lentil (as the ingredients are cheap)  with onion soup as an alternative as that does for any vegetarians,

Main course is more likely to be chicken than anything else, probably roast spuds, and carrots. Usually some sort of vegetable and pasta dish for any vegetarians. It is never anything fancy, especially if they are relying on my cooking.

There is usually some sort of sponge and custard for pudding, often a jam suet sponge done in the microwave (if we have one available) as that is quick and easy.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 11 of 37
See Most Recent

❤️ Thankyou! xx

**********Sam**********
Message 12 of 37
See Most Recent

there will be four of us. Probably turkey as OH loves the stuff. I was thinking of doing a gammon but I've never really done one, how do you do one? do you do it in the slow cooker first and then the oven? for how long in the oven as it's already cooked isn't it?

we will have all the trimmings and of course bread sauce.

no pudding as we don't like it, but I may get a roulade as I had some in work and it was lovely.

Photobucket

Message 13 of 37
See Most Recent

Saasher I am on my own I still cook a nice christmassy dinner. Don't let it spoil your day.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 14 of 37
See Most Recent

No I wont, i worked for the last couple of years to avoid it but this year although I'm on call I'm going to my brothers for Christmas dinner, & I'm quite looking forward to it at the moment!.

**********Sam**********
Message 15 of 37
See Most Recent

Sam, I saw a lovely dinner in work the other day, it had a chicken breast, stuffing, sausage and bacon all in a foil container to put in the oven all ready to go, no mes no waste, just add potatoes, and veg and they do single christmas pudds or chocolate pudds, so you can have the christmasssy dinner.

Sorry if that sounded like rubbing salt into the wound, just don't want you looosing out love.

Message 16 of 37
See Most Recent

Sorry CB but I can't help you with the gammon.

We will be having a small turkey which is already in the freezer.  There'll only be the two of us.  Mum always cooks the Christmas dinner and she does enough to do for Boxing day and the day after.  We'll be having roast and boiled potatoes, parsnips, carrots and swede.  I'll have brocolli but mum can't have that because she's on Warfarin.  For afters, we'll have tiramisu.  After tea for days after, we'll have trifle 'cos we always make a really big one.  I admit to loving my Christmas dinner.  We normally just have a small salad for tea on Christmas day.

Message 17 of 37
See Most Recent

❤️ Thanks Ed. I won't miss out Honest! lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 18 of 37
See Most Recent

Oooh! Another Tiramissu fan! 🙂

Message 19 of 37
See Most Recent

Captain, cook Gammon in the slow cooker first, then put in a hot oven with whatever you want on the top,  I have put marmalade on before or honey, just leave it to crisp up and dry out a bit not too long though.  You could try slow cooking the gammon in cola that tastes fab and I don't like cola.

Message 20 of 37
See Most Recent