Worst food item for your money?

I had a Milky Way - I know I shouldn't, being a diabetic, but I was hungry.  Twenty seconds and three mouthfulls later it was gone!  Not the best 60p I've ever spent :->,  At the other end of the scale, a packet of salt will last me months, even taking into account how I use it to excess.   Pasta is another good buy, and versatile too.

Crisps aren't particularly good value  - you get about one-fifth of a potato!  I remember back where there was only one crisp maker, and there was only one flavour - natural.  Here's something to show up my age - a small wrap of salt in a twist of blue paper - you had to look for it and then empty it giving it a good shake in the process.  They never really gave you enough salt.

Message 1 of 12
See Most Recent
11 REPLIES 11

I remember those too frederick.  They've brought them back again now. Woman Happy

Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

I've always had a passion for crisps, and I remember as a child being in a hurry to get into a packet of those crisps, I bit into a couple of crisps and got the salt too....bleurgh, the taste was awful!!! taught me to look properly for the little twist of salt!!

I think all chocolate bars are a rip off, you hold onto the wrapper and the bar is only 2/3rds the size of the packet!!!

Photobucket

Message 3 of 12
See Most Recent

Yes I also remember 1p pkts of broken crisps, & have you noticed wagon wheels seem to have shrunk I used to have to hold em in two hands or is it because I was little either way they seem quite small nowadays!.

**********Sam**********
Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

I think they're all smaller than they were, except the price of them!

I don't know what they've done to chocolate these days, unless it's my taste buds that are getting old.  I used to love chocolate, but now it doesn't taste chocolaty at all, just very sweet and greasy!!

Message 5 of 12
See Most Recent

That's because they've replaced a lot of the cocoa butter with vegetable oil, which is cheaper but changes the taste and texture.

I don't eat any milk chocolate any more, only high cocoa content dark chocolate, my favourite chocolate is Neuhaus - expensive but they last as they are so rich and you get a really decent chocolate hit.

But since when have chocolate and crisps been food items?  Treats more like.

For me the worst value has got to be any fruit from T*sco - rock hard when you buy it and rotten before it's ripe.

Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

That's not the only thing that's shrunk - you seen the size of a Cadbury's Creme Egg?!!!

Message 7 of 12
See Most Recent

Savoury snacks, then.  Smiths Crisps were 4d a packet in old money when I was a kid.

Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent

lol, yep! & curly whirlys, lion bars, sherbet dips, Pontefract cakes, basically everything except as the other poster says. "The price".

**********Sam**********
Message 9 of 12
See Most Recent

oh Pontefract cakes I love those, they are smaller too!!

yup Sam, wagon wheels are teeny now and they've taken the jam out of 'em suprised fainting smiley.gif

Photobucket

Message 10 of 12
See Most Recent

Yes, but what was the average wage?

I started work in 1967 and my salary now is over 170 times what it was then. 

Message 11 of 12
See Most Recent

Yes its like the tins of sweets,,they used to be a lot lot bigger and cheaper. Even when you buy quarters or i sometimes buy 100g in our American sweet shop and wine gums are 90p for 100g. I know they do charge more in those shops but its robbery!!!. Penny sweets are a distant memory now.Woman Frustrated

Message 12 of 12
See Most Recent