These boards break my heart

mouse4702
Conversationalist

They make the Marie Celeste look like the Ministry of Sound on a busy night.

It's nobody's fault.  But what can we do?  I used to love coming here, when if you went away for a wee or a cuppa, your thread had disappeared onto the next page, overtaken by other threads. 

For me, and others like me, they are a lifeline.  Why are they dying?  Dedicated posters keep posting, but new blood is missing.

Help, someone, please.

Message 1 of 42
See Most Recent
41 REPLIES 41

mouse4702
Conversationalist

Twenty-four views?  Won't somebody at least say something?

Message 2 of 42
See Most Recent

This is only my opinion mouse. I think the boards have turned into a bit like real life ! People move on and if things get tampered with and they do not like it they leave.

Also the moderation has a lot to answer for what with banned for x amount of hours or banned totally, this also causing people to find pastures new.

Lastly the people that do find somewhere else never think to say here where the new pastures are so contact with people you chatted with is lost and again this is only my opinion, that is again like life a little selfish although totally unintended I am sure.

Message 3 of 42
See Most Recent

Ah DC, there's wisdom in your words.  Sometimes I rely on this place.  When you're disabled it's great to come and shoot the breeze with people who start out strangers, but quickly become friends.  Even if someone only posts once, it's a different point of view to consider.

Message 4 of 42
See Most Recent

Oh and I forgot the little clubs they form which the select are invited to join leaving the unwanted outside and unable to enter. Again likely an oversight but I am sure many of the ones left outside looking in feel even though sometimes people chatted to you on the boards you were not really part of the forum simply by not inviting you to join.

Not that it bothers me as I always knew I was not really part of the forum and never would be as I cannot be online much. I am ok for tips on some things though  lol.

Message 5 of 42
See Most Recent

It does seem a shame that these boards are fading but the changes to the boards drove lots of posters away. Also more people are using other forms of media to connect and share their lives so I guess it is bound to happen. There is certainly a lot less censorship on other sites which may appeal to many. I think a lot of what previously went on here would not survive long today Cat Wink

I've never been much of a poster but always pop in to see what's happening, as it sems many must still do, judging by the number of views on the few posts that do appear.

Message 6 of 42
See Most Recent

A lot of us have gone to Facebook. It's not a secret club & you can speak like an adult there & have a bit of fun. It's not a secret! 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 7 of 42
See Most Recent

Ah yes facebook ! The place where many do not want to go after the furor about them selling on contact details (which they denied) and a place where the people that were here can disappear into the crowd unless they tell everyone in here their name and where to find them.

I would rather stay in the small pond where I know I am not really part of the forum than go into a big pond and stay on the outside looking in. 

Message 8 of 42
See Most Recent

I don't always post as I don't always have anything that I want to say on a public forum.

Mouse - you have my details, so feel free to email if you want to chat.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 9 of 42
See Most Recent

i miss the way the fhg use to be lively the last few weeks have put a lot of people off the board .i think we should be able to talk about anything and say anything apart from harsh swear words .but as we have all been stopped from doing these two things.it has put people off.

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 10 of 42
See Most Recent

Yes and on that note I shall say my goodbyes.

Message 11 of 42
See Most Recent

I loved coming in here, but for the reasons others have mentioned I have also gone elsewhere.
It is difficult to say what you want to say and have a full and frank discussion on here without getting into trouble. When a simple but frequently used in real life rude word can get you in trouble for a week it has made me not bother too much any more. Having to watch every word you say makes for a very boring conversation. You also get people who push the button if they don't agree with you.

I know also a lot of people have had trouble getting on here and being timed out every few minutes. And it's not exactly well advertised.
Message 12 of 42
See Most Recent

Probably be in trouble now.
Message 13 of 42
See Most Recent

Bye Corgi. You should try Facebook. You might like it. There are some very interesting groups on there.:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 14 of 42
See Most Recent

I agree.. things are not as they used to be.. because of moderation..

button pushers and bans.

sad really.

Message 15 of 42
See Most Recent

Hi, Mouse - I used to come on here a lot, a few years ago, to read the threads and eventually started replying to some.  I do so less often now because I know there will be less to read, sometimes it seems there is no change from one day to the next.  I have noticed a big difference , with some regulars disappearing due to alterations to  the site - we don't all respond well to unwanted change - and I am sure that new people are not joining in for the simple reason that the word Community (which I originally clicked on out of curiosity) no longer appears prominently at the top of the page.

Yes, I'm sure that some people now stick to Facebook - not interested in it myself - and of course others lose touch with people they used to meet or write to,  due simply to busy lives. I don't think the Ebay boards are any exception.  Sad, but these things happen.

Message 16 of 42
See Most Recent

Yes it is sad that the boards aren't as busy as they once were.  As has been said, you have to watch what you say.  I used to be on Facebook but I closed my account on there a good while back.  Also, with them moving the Community tab to the bottom of the board in small writing, it makes it harder to get here for those that don't have the likes of FHG bookmarked.

Message 17 of 42
See Most Recent

yes, Chris, they are making it harder to get onto the community, I bookmarked FHG years ago and I'm glad I did!

it is hard to make conversation on here at times, and we don't seem to have as much fun as we once did, however, if we all just stop posting then of course it will be quiet, I can't be quiet, I've too much to say!!!.....

maybe if we just keep plodding on, think of subjects to talk about no matter how trivial, after all conversation isn't always about rocket science is it????? we all talk nonsense most of the time

bouncy laffin smiley.gif

Photobucket

Message 18 of 42
See Most Recent

Well said that moo coo Woman Very Happy

********************************************************************************
Be not inhospitable to strangers, lest they be Angels in disguise.

Message 19 of 42
See Most Recent

I fankyou!!bubble blowing smiley.gif

Photobucket

Message 20 of 42
See Most Recent