Talk about a Newby!!! LOL!!!!!!!

Somebody's just bid on a puzzle - nothing strange about that, except he's a REAL newby - he or she joined YESTERDAY!  Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

Assuming he wins my item, apart from sending him a standard invoice, I'm going to have to send him a separate email explaining exactly what he has to do, how to pay me etc.

I know I was in a bit of a flat spin when I started off.  I was so naive, in my efforts to create a favourable rapport I sent off my second item as soon as I sent the invoice, expecting the person to pay.  I waited ... and waited ...and waited.  Five emails on I realised I'd been caught.  When I went onto a discussion board to warn others not to do the same, far from sympathising with me, although I wasn't after sympathy, when they heard the title of the book - Windows for Dummies, they lined up to tell me I should have kept the book for myself, because I was obviously the world's biggest one!  You've no idea just how close I came to pulling the plug on the whole thing.  Fair enough, I have broad shoulders but some of the comments I picked up were quite spiteful.  The thing is, I had been to several proper auction houses where once the gavel falls, that's it - rightly or wrongly it's yours.  I had, wrongfully, assumed those on eBay would automatically take the same standard as me - my word is my bond.  I'm glad I didn't pull out over that, because I've "met" some really wonderful people during my time here.  One rotten apple so nearly did spoil the load. 

Message 1 of 15
See Most Recent
14 REPLIES 14

I dont really recall having problems as a new buyer ....it was pretty straightforward as everything was set up in advance ...all I did was press pay and then wait for my item to arrive . It was very easy ...and addictive ...

My first sale some years later was a bit more nerve wracking and to be honest I think most new sellers should have to undergo a selling tutorial before being let loose .....but I managed to survive those first sales and have definitely improved since finding these boards.
Message 2 of 15
See Most Recent

please don't assume your newbie is an **bleep**.

i was quite capable of paying for my 1st purchase several years ago. indeed i probably paid via the '  pay now ' rather than waiting for an invoice.

Message 3 of 15
See Most Recent

You're right.  I tend to look on every newcomer as a greenhorn, It took me some time to get the PayPal account side of things sorted out.  I don't know if they've improved on the system but it caused me more than a few problems initially with trips to the bank,statements etc.  that sort of thing.  Even now I don't seem to be able to pay money into my PayPal account.  

Transferring money used to take four working days when it first started off.  I racked up several sales, quickly gaining from experience before making my first purchase - I've forgotten wha it was.  The first thing I learnt was how the pro's don't bid until the closing minutes or even seconds somethime.  I used to rave my sides out at having been outbid in the closing seconds!  I'd be like a bear with a sore head over it sometimes I'd since learnt how this was done.  Using the same principle I outbid somebody with just eight seconds to go.  I punched the air so viciously and roared,  the cat shot out of the room! Smiley LOLI took it far too personally when I first started off - I hate losing!  LOL!

Message 4 of 15
See Most Recent

Its very easy to transfer money from your bank account into PP now.. log into PP,just follow the prompts, and you enter their payee details at your online bank account.. its more or less instant, and at worst, a couple of hours.
Message 5 of 15
See Most Recent

I'll try it next time I have some money!Smiley LOL

Message 6 of 15
See Most Recent

I haven't sold for ages but I can honestly say apart from one or two I have always had good buyers, perhaps because they were collectors the same as myself , if I met with any type of problem the board has a wealth of knowledge & experience given freely by people who are sellers themselves, I can't praise them highly enough, yes they're are a few who are sarcastic but usually they are politely reprimanded by the others.

**********Sam**********
Message 7 of 15
See Most Recent

Hey - guess what!  She's no greenhorn - she's already paid!  :smileysurprised Obviously do dumn blond from Essex (duck head, let all the plates fly - hee, hee hee)  Real M.C.P. aren't I?  I shouldn't be so patronising, should I? Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 15
See Most Recent

Fred I find that newbies tend to pay instantly it's the old hands that I have had any trouble with, not that I have had much only 4 problems in 5 years. 3 non payers and one my item didn't arrive, even though they signed for it and put it on their account for auction 2 months later. Ebay told me I still had to refund, got the money back from post office too. They said that it wasn't them that signed for it. They had about 1500 feedback if I remember rightly and I had about 2 at the time I had just got started.

Message 9 of 15
See Most Recent

For someone who claims to be so religious you're not very tolerant or nice about people are you Frederick?
Photobucket
Message 10 of 15
See Most Recent

A word of caution Frederick if I may, I see you like myself post with only one ID, people who are scanning the boards are in theory your potential customers you will lose them if they see you treat them with disrespect , I know you are only joking because we've come to know you but they don't !. Slowly, slowly catchee monkey!. ( kindly meant advice!)

**********Sam**********
Message 11 of 15
See Most Recent

Frederick, what you seem to forget is that we were all newbies once including you.

Message 12 of 15
See Most Recent

Your buyer was obviously female.......

Message 13 of 15
See Most Recent

It was very much written tongue in cheek, especially my last post - that's why I referred to myself as an M.C.P. after cracking the girl from Essex joke.  In truth I'm not in the least bit chauvenistic.  If I was, I wouldn't make jokes about it.  All my clients are important to me, which is why I left her exceedingly high feedback and sent her an email telling her that I wrapped it up immediately and had managed to catch the post office and that it was already on it's way.  She would have been content with Saturday, but by putting myself out I proved the I live by my motto i.e. Going the extra mile is standard.  I only post with my ID because I've nothing to hide.  I've never once put up anything in malice - it's just not me.

Gina, read this thread, and you must surely know I bear no ill against anybody unless the make a formal complaint against me.  My B/B list contains about eight names which isn't bad for eight years.  I haven't got a feedback of thousands because I don't run a shop, but in all that time I've only picked up one negative feedback and a neutral which has seven months to go before it is spent.  Three times I've willingly given a full electronic refund when a puzzle has been substandard.  

I'm sorry if you feel Im a bit over the top or intollerant - two or three times you've made referenc to "...As a Christian, you not very..." God takes me just as I am, warts and all, exactly the way He takes all of us.  None of us are perfect, least of all me.

If I seem a bit over the top and cause you offence, I'm sorry.  It is just my idiosychasies - just for you, I'll try and quieten down a bit - OK?

Message 14 of 15
See Most Recent

I've just come in from work Frederick & was casually looking in before I put my iPad on charge before turning in., thank you for your explanation , I know you were only joking as I said in my post, please do not quieten down as it would not be you, I enjoy reading your posts. Kind regards. Sandra.

**********Sam**********
Message 15 of 15
See Most Recent