Supermarket price war = phoney

So according to their own trade magazine More Prices have risen than fallen since the start of this so called 'price war'

http://www.thegrocer.co.uk/companies/supermarkets/tesco/more-rises-than-cuts-since-start-of-supermar...

Message 1 of 31
See Most Recent
30 REPLIES 30

So tell us something we don't know!  I hate shopping at Sainsburys because in common with most blokes, we can see it's a con - women can't - doh!  All they'll see is:  "Oo, look - if we buy two, we'll get a third one free!"  So you'll end up buying three times more than you need and wind up paying twice what you'd pay if you'd taken control of the money.  Women don't see it like that.  Another big con is fruiit.  "Buy one, get one free."  Is is not done to help the shoppers, it's done because they (the purchaser responsible for the shop) has to get rid of it fast before it starts getting too ripe.  They get penalised if the dump too much food, so they give it awat to the customer who will then gorge themselves eating two packets of oranges when one would have done.  And they don't - They end up dumping half the stuff in their own bin!  Why do I have to pay to over a fiver for four cans of lager  when I only want one?  It boils down to FALSE ECONOMY!  You would not believe just how low the food bill would be if we made a shopping list, and stuck to it rather than be swayed by these "Buy two, get a third one for half price"  You're not buying one, you're buying THREE!  Would you buy three tubs of Clover under normal circumstance?  No, you'd go back and buy another one when it finished.

There are three of us - left to my own devices with a computer with which to compare prices, I could so easily get a £55.00 shopping bill down to £40.00 by avoiding these promotions that fly off the shelf as you enter any Supermarket but women do't see it that way. .Smiley MadSmiley Mad 

Sorry girls, but men are FAR better than women when it comes to buying food!  

There - that's put the cat amongst the pigeons!Smiley LOL  I'm waiting for a war of words from defensive women shoppers now.  Lol!

Message 2 of 31
See Most Recent

Oh my Fred. Do you have any idea what you sound like?

No defensive posting from me. Wouldn't want to give you the satisfaction.

*shakes head*

I felt like a change ok?
Message 3 of 31
See Most Recent

Boorish, plus a host of other suitable adjectives! Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

Message 4 of 31
See Most Recent

Heavens Fred, one innocent little comment and we get an enourmously long

rant from you again, stereotyping people and degrading women!

I for one am perfectly capable of seeing these things for what they are and

buying what I need and, even so, if whatever it is on offer happens to be

something I use a lot of then I make use of the offer, if not then I don't.  I

have enough intelligence not to be dictated to by supermarkets (or anyone

else for that matter) and motivated by greed.

Message 5 of 31
See Most Recent

Ooooh Frederick! One step forward , two steps back. lol. I also don't come under the female description you post, further more I hope your wife hasn't seen it or not only will you be doing the shopping yourself but cooking , cleaning , washing, ironing & everything else. That's of course after all the ladies on this board have finished with you, LOL.

**********Sam**********
Message 6 of 31
See Most Recent

Feel better now Frederick.? Very misogynistic post if I may say so! 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 7 of 31
See Most Recent

I find men who are like that are perhaps a little unsure of their masculinity.

He needs a little reassurance I think.

Well done Frederick.  I bet there'll be quite a few of us silly ladies who, when shopping today, will see these offers, remember your wise words and offer up a little word of thanks to you.  Then arrive home, empty our bags and wonder why we only brought home  half the amount we could have had for the same money!!  Woman LOL

Message 8 of 31
See Most Recent

No comment Fred !

Message 9 of 31
See Most Recent

I think we are all smart enough to realise that no one gets something for nothing, if one price goes down one will go up they arn't going to loose money are they. I work in a supermarket and see it every day, (please no one have a go at me it's not my fault)  We get quite cross about it when they are going on about how low certain prices are, and we know that a lot of things have gone up to compensate.

As for bogoffs and 3 for 2 you don't have to buy them, if you don't usually use it or eat it then don't buy it.  If you don't like what supermarkets do or say then go shop somewhere else.

We see people moaning in the paper about a supermarket being built and action groups etc. one town near us especially and the chief protestor where does she shop, yes in our supermarket, the same chain that would be building in her town.

Most of us shop in supermarkets, because they are easy to use, have parking and mostly you can get everything under one roof.

If you have time on your hands then you can drive from one to the other to get all the bargains, then go to the local shops for fruit and veg etc.  Oh I would love to have that much time in the day.

As for men being better at shopping than women, mine always comes home with booze, chocolate, cakes biscuits etc, on top of what is on the list. Not in this household.

Message 10 of 31
See Most Recent

She doesn't have to see it!

M.C.P. That's me.  Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

it was offered up half tongue in cheekSmiley Wink

I'm glad people are taking it in the same light as it is being given.  No, we're all capable of seeing through these things and making up our own minds.  I was having a slight pop at Sainsburys in my original thread.  The only thing I do find annoying though, is having to buy a four pack of lager and have the other three cans lying around for months before deciding I want another can.  As you said, you know my style by now - very droll.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 11 of 31
See Most Recent

"it was offered up half tongue in cheek"

Sorry Fred, but I don't believe this. I think what you posted is exactly what you think and then you bring out the 'joking' card when it suits. But hey ho...

I felt like a change ok?
Message 12 of 31
See Most Recent

Read my last thread to Saash - I have a very droll sense of humour.  I'd be a perfect stand in for that person who plays Victor Meldrew - I've forgotten his name.

Message 13 of 31
See Most Recent

I read it Fred. Good day.

I felt like a change ok?
Message 14 of 31
See Most Recent

Victor Meldrew didn't have a droll sense of humour. He was a miserable old git! lol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 15 of 31
See Most Recent

lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 16 of 31
See Most Recent

I watched it a couple of times - it was a while before I understood the style.  There was nothing in the least bit subtle though in Till Death us do part. - awful man.

Message 17 of 31
See Most Recent

*strokes Fred's cat...feeds the pigeons and wanders off*......

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can fail at what you don't want.....so you might as well take a chance on what you love.........

Message 18 of 31
See Most Recent

LOL. " silence is golden"

**********Sam**********
Message 19 of 31
See Most Recent

Oh Fred you are a one,   Nice one Twishy took me a couple of seconds to get that one, might write that one down and use it sometime.

Message 20 of 31
See Most Recent