Straight question on eBay terminology - what are Kudoes and cookies? Are they allied?

I've looked it up in the dictionary and it says it is a Greek based word meaning praise, but that doesn't really tell me a lot.  I don't think Ive got one whatever it is.  The same as a cookie - I don't know whether I've got a cookie - they sound terribly Americanised phrases.  Do you have to have so many sales or positive feedback to be allocated a cookie or a kudoe?  I'm not in to all this phraseology - I just know the basics - how to sell and make a bit of money.

Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

Straight question on eBay terminology - what are Kudoes and cookies? Are they allied?

all websites use cookies not just e bay

.....................................A cookie, also known as an HTTP cookie, web cookie, or browser cookie, is a small piece of data sent from a website and stored in a user's web browser while the user is browsing that website. Every time the user loads the website, the browser sends the cookie back to the server to notify the website of the user's previous activity.[1] Cookies were designed to be a reliable mechanism for websites to remember stateful information (such as items in a shopping cart) or to record the user's browsing activity (including clicking particular buttons, logging in, or recording which pages were visited by the user as far back as months or years ago).

Kudos means most liked and agreed with

nether of these words has any barring to feedback or  selling on e bay

Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

If every cookie stores information about which site and what page a user has used for months or even yonks, this is NOT a good thing, especially if it cannot be wiped clean! Smiley Mad Smiley Mad   Now I know why the first thing police do if anybody's been up to any clandestine operations is confiscate their computer.  This is ten times worse than having undeleatable information on a hard drive.  Ok, so in the main, most information stored on a cookie is mundane drivel, but armed with a cookie, one's whole life becomes transparant which is not a good thing.  I thought wiping my footprints was good enough - apparently notSmiley Surprised  I used to assume information on one's hard drive could be reversed but it seems a cookie is an all seeing eye!  God, I'm paranoid as it is without having to contend with a cookie!  

Fair enough, I have done nothing untoward in the past, but I still don't like the idea of certain bodies being able to delve into my past life.  Thank you for some very interesting information.

Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

Without delving in to realms of detail, read this to start with?:-

http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser%27s-Cookies

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

You have the option to turn off giving Kudos in your profile Settings just as I have done 🙂
Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

Smiley HappyYou can delete cookies...........How often do you clean your computer? and i dont mean a wipe over with a cloth

every week I do a disk clean up and a defrag plus run super anti spyware and my avast security..........yes this can sometimes be a pain to do but I never have any problems with my computer slowing down or not working properly.........

Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

You might also want to look at this.

https://www.adobe.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager07.html

I dont know why they dont use more general words we can understand like Data Holders or Data Files. I think LIKE is better than KUDOS ha ha ha. Kudos sounds Japanese to me LOL,i mean literally ha ha.

Woman LOL

Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

I believe it's Latin Rose. 'Like' is on Facebook. Proboards have Exault or Smite!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

Ahhhhh i seeeeee.Woman LOL

Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

I always thought 'kudos' was a word in common use.

I think it is commonly used & it's Ancient Greek not Latin as I stated previously.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

Kudos is from Ancient Greek and kudo is a made-up word, a back-formation from kudos when someone, some time ago, who didn't know what the word 'kudos' meant, thought it was plural.

It's not - kudos is singular.

And it may help to know that it is pronounce, kyoodoss, not kyoodoze.

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent