Searching for a Shrub Advice Please

Hi - My dad is looking for a shrub or plant to put in the garden for my mam's birthday as a remembrance.  Ideally he would like it to be evergreen with beautiful flowers and one that does not grow too tall or too wide. 

I thought of Camelias but he said he has three of them and would like something different. 

Can anybody offer any suggestions please?  Thank you

Message 1 of 16
See Most Recent
15 REPLIES 15

I have one of these. Not evergreen but pretty in the spring & the leaves go red in the autumn. I had one at the old house & had to get another when we moved here.:)

http://www.bluebellnursery.com/catalogue/trees/Amelanchier/A/5743362

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 16
See Most Recent

Thanks Patch - will mention it to my Dad but I know ideally he would like an evergreen - it does look pretty though I am tempted to get one for my garden 🙂

Message 3 of 16
See Most Recent

You wont be sorry. It's lovely.:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 16
See Most Recent

What a lovely idea , I was going to say Forsythia or Ceanothus .

**********Sam**********
Message 5 of 16
See Most Recent

I was going to suggest cyanosis too beautiful mass of deep blue small flowers in the spring and small dark green leaves all year round. I love mine. Forsythia is lovely. But I do like my camellias. I have red pink and white I would like more but I am running out of room.
Message 6 of 16
See Most Recent

One of my favourites are roses but I'm banned from buying any more even if my mum likes them too.

Message 7 of 16
See Most Recent

I love Camellia's or another lovely alternative is Photinia

“I don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh.”
Message 8 of 16
See Most Recent

what about a snowberry plant? they are evergreen and have little white berries on them all through the winter. They will grow very tall but you can prune them to a size you prefer.

ceonothus are lovely, so many varieties, evergreen too with honey scented flowers in the spring or summer.

Photobucket

Message 9 of 16
See Most Recent

gawd Maggie, I've just spent ages looking at that site, they've got some fab stuff

Photobucket

Message 10 of 16
See Most Recent

Escallonia? Evergreen, hardy, with scented flowers that bees love, they come in various shades of pink to red. It can be used as a hedge, too - so if it grows too big it can safely be pruned back.  Very popular with councils, but you hardly ever see it flowering because as soon as it sends out shoots with flowerbuds they send the contractors out to "tidy" them up.

Message 11 of 16
See Most Recent

I'd have said an escallonia woujld be a good idea too but not in an exposed situation if it gets too cold in winter.

Ceanothus is another lovely one that needs sunshine and a bit of protection - not a north facing wall - and the small pollinating insects love that one too.

But Amelanchier is a truly lovely small tree that gives so much variety during the year and even though it's not evergreen, it really is worth considering.

He could then put bulbs underneath to come up during the early spring too.

Another evergreen with fragrant flowers is the Osmanthus delavayi (Chinese Osthmanthus) and that can be kept clipped so it doesn't grow too high or bushy

And then consider a Viburnum - not all are evergreen, some are semi-evergreen and one produces huge balls of beautifully fragranced flowers around May.  I can't remember what it's called - I've got one but carefull removed the label when I planted it.

There are many other lovely varieties of viburnum and some produce attractive metallic blue berries in autumn from mases of white blooms in spring.

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 12 of 16
See Most Recent

Oh I have that one but I couldnt remember the name. And my mum has gone to bed ao I couldn't ask her. Viburnum thats it lovely coloured berries. Oh dear my cyanosis is in front of a North facing wall but it is fab and about 10 feet tall it does get the sun later in the day on the corner.
Message 13 of 16
See Most Recent

Hello Fluffy, I hope you are doing ok, and Dad too heart

How about a Rhododendron - you can get them in all colours - shallow rooted - easy to grow.  You get them in all sizes too.  This is one I brought here 7 years ago, she was in a pot then, 3 years old, so she is now 10 and gives the most glorious display in early summer, about May, easy to control.

I also have miniature red ones called Carmen, only about 18" across and the same height a vibrant red.  I think they are very underrated.  Daphne too is nice, I had one at last house, beautifully scented, but she's a bit fickle, if she's not in the right place, you've had it. Evergreen, with the most beautiful scent in Spring.

Ebay May 2014 059_opt.jpg

Nobody told me there'd be days like these,
Nobody told me there'd be days like these,
Strange days indeed, strange days indeed,
Most peculiar Mamma.....................................
Message 14 of 16
See Most Recent

I'm a fan of Ceanothus too - some varieties are the most amazing vibrant blue colour

I don't have a garden, but a small yard and I have several varieties of Pieris japonica in pots. The young leaves in spring are beautiful colours depending on the variety - silvery pink, red, golden yellow, flame, copper - all sorts and there are loads of varieties to choose from.  Bell shaped clusters of dangling flowers - white, pink and other colours, depending on variety.  I planted mine in pots about 24 years ago and they are still going strong!  Smaller in the confines of a pot than they would be in a garden, but they are slow growing and can be pruned if necessary.  They like acid soils like rhododendrons and azaleas.

Pieris japonica.png  Pieris japonica roseflower.jpg

Or, this Fetterbush - Leucothoe scarletta ? Nice leaf colours that change from purple (when young) to green and then deep red in the winter.  Can be planted in the garden (as well as in pots)- grows up to 75cm so not too big

Fetterbush_scarletta.jpg

http://www.spaldingbulb.co.uk/product/fetterbush-scarletta-/p_JM/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=merch...

Or perhaps a Daphne?  Fragrant, evergreen and lots of varieties available with variegated leaves, pink or white flowers etc. I think these are lovely but read somewhere that they only live for about 8-10 years so that might be unsuitable for you.

Daphne.jpg

http://www.waitrosegarden.com/search/_/search.daphne-plant/sort.0/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwr-KeBRCMh92Ax9rNgJ8...

Escallonia (as duck suggested) - a compact fast growing shrub.  Different varieties with white, red or pink flowers, and growing to different heights depending on variety

EscalloniaWhite.jpg          EscalloniaRed.jpg

Or Skimmia japonica ?

Skimmia_japonica_Rubella.jpg

Just check that that you have the right soil conditions in your garden for whatever you choose, although you can amend the soil around them with whatever is needed; also that you have a place that suits your chosen shrub's light conditions such as full sun/ partial shade etc.

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 15 of 16
See Most Recent

Wow - thank you for so many wonderful suggestions.  I have printed all the ideas off and I will go through them with my Dad. 

I really do appreciate all the suggestions.  Sorry it has taken me so long to get back on to the thread, I was having a few probs earlier.

Thanks once again xxx

Message 16 of 16
See Most Recent