Saasher - help needed - cuniculus/lepus invasion

Dear Saasher, The bloomin' things are now gambolling on my lawn!  

I have been watching them and think they have made a home (burrow) beneath a huuuuuge conifer/tree we have in the garden (say 40'high x 20'dia).  They are no longer coming from the adjoining field, but always from there.  Could I be right?

Well today, I found they had been eating my geraniums (perennnial cranesbill) of which I have many varieties.  I can't have this, my garden is all I have left, I can't, in no particular order, jog, run, swim (well, a little bit and very slowly), workout, salsa - nowt.  My garden is my solace.

Do I phone the pest control guy?  I can't shoot a rabbit or anything else.  

I have seen only, so far, what I think is a doe and 2 kits.  Oh Lord.  Would really appreciate your advice.

From the road

I built this from nothing.  Help!

Nobody told me there'd be days like these,
Strange days indeed, strange days indeed,
Most peculiar Mamma.....................................
Message 1 of 41
See Most Recent
40 REPLIES 40

The little boogers, do you know anyone who uses ferrets , if you can find where the burrow is that might be your best option,
Do pest control deal with rabbits?
Could they be living under the wall?

**********Sam**********
Message 2 of 41
See Most Recent

You can also get live catch traps but I don't know if they are very successful , it's a dilemma really , you have to be very careful if you use a firearm so close to other houses, I think your best bet is a good ferreting man with nets.

**********Sam**********
Message 3 of 41
See Most Recent

There are some natural ways to deter rabbits in the garden....look on google ....might be worth trying some of them....
Message 4 of 41
See Most Recent

I have tried natural alternatives millie, but the back garden (where they are present) is huge.  I've tried egg shells. black pepper and have even sprayed my plants with some chilli and water recipe I found online - the rabbit ate one of them!  

We are rural here - none of the gardens ae fenced fully, many, like us, have a mixture of fencing and hedging - so we cannot put chicken wire on the boundary - pointless unless we do the whole thing and it is too big a job.

I have one neighbour saving her kitty litter - will try that on the boundary.

Saasher - we have a pest control guy who comes couple times a year to check the rat poison boxes on the boundaries, I'll get OH to call him tomorrow and see what he has to say.

There is a lot of land/field reclamation going on to provide parking for the Ryder Cup and I think it is this that has upset the natural balance of the wildlife.

If I still had my little dog, we'd have nooooooooo rabbits. lol.  Thanks guys.

Message 5 of 41
See Most Recent

Sorry Saasher, meant to say, we have no wall.  They are in and out of that conifer like yo-yos.

Message 6 of 41
See Most Recent

Hi rainy do you have a friend that has a dog you could borrow for a few weeks to see if that helps.

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 7 of 41
See Most Recent

Rainy you can borrow mine, she is always after rabbits and she is quick, shame we are so far away, can't help you otherwise, we had trouble with rats back along also living in the country but they don't come in here now the garden is dog proof and she has a free run.

Message 8 of 41
See Most Recent

Actually Rainy that's not a bad idea from CG & Ed, if you could just bear it for the dog not only to get the rabbits but to pee & such on the area that might just scare the bunnies to go to a another home, in fact it might just be because you are a cat& dog free area that they chose you in the first place.

**********Sam**********
Message 9 of 41
See Most Recent

I can pop up for the weekend if you want ............................. I have an air rifle and if I do say so myself I'm quite a good shot ;-

“I don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh.”
Message 10 of 41
See Most Recent

OH has a shotgun but I said that was overkill.

Message 11 of 41
See Most Recent

We also have a shot gun (and yes before anyone asks we do both have licences, belong to a club and have it locked away) but agree its a bit too much for garden bunny patrol

Message 12 of 41
See Most Recent

lol. Yep plays havoc with yer fillings, mind you if you play your cards right there a fair chance you can get all three in one, but it does tend to make a bit of a mess!

**********Sam**********
Message 13 of 41
See Most Recent

OH has licence too and also locked away, us country folk eh!

Message 14 of 41
See Most Recent

Yep we are strange & gory. lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 15 of 41
See Most Recent

we don't have a shotgun, but we haven't had any trouble yet with bunnies, but we've noticed one in the driveway early in the morning on our way out to work!! it can't get around the back into the garden unless it can get over a 6ft garden gate!!!

we found a mouse drowned in the water OH had his brush in as he's painting the fences...I think a cat may have put it in there.

one side of you says oooh poor bunny but they are a nuisance. Thats part of living in the country....getting the balance right!!easter bunny smiley.gif

Photobucket

Message 16 of 41
See Most Recent

Hubby's got a 12 bore and a 410 (and a licence and a locked gun cabinet) He can't hit a barn door!!  Woman LOL

Message 17 of 41
See Most Recent

Haaa reckon C/Grandpa an Mr S must have the same man to set heir sights .........either that or the same off track target

Message 18 of 41
See Most Recent

I've got a water pistol....smilie massive teeth.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can fail at what you don't want.....so you might as well take a chance on what you love.........

Message 19 of 41
See Most Recent

Yeah that's cos ya lives in a fish bowl .......................duhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Message 20 of 41
See Most Recent