River Cobbler Fillets

I was tempted to buy a couple of River Cobbler fillets in the supermarket this morning, only £2 for 2 fillets. But, I have never tried Cobbler and wondered if someone could tell me about it and what it tastes like please? I usually stick with Cod or Haddock or Salmon.

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

River Cobbler Fillets

We have had them a few times, They are ideal if you want to put chilli and lime or ginger with them.  I think they are getting more common as a cheaper and more sustainable alternative to Cod etc, It is also known as Bassa, and at our fish and chip shop you can have bassa and chips £2 cheaper than Cod and chips.

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

River Cobbler Fillets

I have read (but do not know if its true) that river cobbler is often sourced in Vietnam or similar, and is a lot 'softer' than cod... havent tried it myself though...

Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

River Cobbler Fillets

Google for it - basa. Yes, it is from the far east, a freshwater fish usually farmed but could be caught in the wild. Don't be put off by it being classed as a member of the catfish family, I've bought it a few times breaded & frozen from Heron, £1-50 for 500g. ( 2 fillet ) bag. I find nothing wrong with it, it's a white fish, a little softer than cod, haddock etc., mild in taste. Try it.

---------------------------------------------------------

I don't care who you are, stop walking on the water while I'm fishing. --------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

River Cobbler Fillets

Spoiler
I buy the smoked river cobbler and it makes a fab fish pie and also great in a kedgeree

“I don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh.”
Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

River Cobbler Fillets

Doh don't know why thats added as a spoiler

I buy the smoked river cobbler and it makes a fab fish pie and also great in a kedgeree

“I don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh.”
Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

River Cobbler Fillets

somebody told me it tasted like mud, and it kinda put me off it to be honest....

Photobucket

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

River Cobbler Fillets

It's a very mild fish, somewhat like pollack, I would recommend a good sauce with it.

River Cobbler Fillets

Ok thanks; might give it a miss as I'm not keen on Pollack. Woman Happy

Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent