Park & Ride - Very Long Walk!

Went to Cambridge yesterday for work and parked coach at a different park & ride

than the one I usually use as the coach places were full. 

All was well until I went to come back, luckily leaving loads of time before I was due

to pick up my people.  The first bus was fuil, which I had allowed for two to be full, just

to be sure.  Well after the first one went, that was the end, seemingly, of the buses

and the queue got longer and longer, went round the corner and away into the distance.

I decided to walk along a bit where I could pick up any bus going that way.  Only problem is

that no buses came, the traffic was gridlocked and I ended up walking almost three miles

in absolutely baking heat back to the park & ride site.

I beat the original bus that had been full up, it came in a few minutes after I got there.

It was open days for many of the colleges and universities so loads more people than

usual, they did put a couple of extra buses on, but what is the good if they can't get back

to the site 'cos of gridlocked traffic and someone can beat them back over three miles

walking?!  Surely they could have re-routed some up the clear route out, down the

motorway for a couple of junctions and into the site like that, I mean what if I hadn't

allowed ridiculous amounts of time, what if I couldn't walk all that way?  Some people

must have been hugely inconvenienced.

We must have been destined for delays though as when we went to come home, the

motorway was closed due to a lorry overturning and shedding its load of glue all over

the place.  A sticky situation indeed!  So I had to go through loads of little villages to

get back which actually was really nice but took a while.

I've still got my return bus ticket!!

Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

good grief Fishy!! bet you weren't expecting to have to do that were you? good job you are fit, it would have taken me all day to hobble 3 miles, unless I was pushing a trolley that is, then I could have kept up with you!

Photobucket

Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

Well done Fishy, I could only manage the 3 miles if I could sit in Cap's trolley Woman LOL

Is this your new job or just the end of your old one?

Nobody told me there'd be days like these,
Nobody told me there'd be days like these,
Strange days indeed, strange days indeed,
Most peculiar Mamma.....................................
Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

I was just going to say that Rainy, next time Captain can come then I can ride in the trollwy!

This is the end of the old job, another two weeks to go.  I'm very sad as I've loved it there,

but it will hopefully be just as good working for the firm on the other side of the depot.

I think I start there when the schools go back in September, though they mighthave the

odd little bit of work for me in the holidays.

At least I'll know the way there as I've been in and out of that depot for almost fifteen years!

Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent