My dog has dandruff and is itchy

Any advice please? My youngest dog has dandruff along her back and is scratching sometimes, seems worse at night; she also licks her front paws. Could it be a grass/pollen allergy do you think? My other dog also has dandruff but not as much and hardly scratches. Both are fed on dry food with some meat added from those foil trays, also chicken sometimes instead of the meat. Thanks for any advice. .

Message 1 of 21
See Most Recent
20 REPLIES 20

My dog always licks her paws ....she is very particular about grooming herself....no dandruff though..

To be honest when an animal is concerned it is usually best to have it checked over by a vet .....there may be a very quick and easy remedy but the condition could get worse if not diagnosed.

Message 2 of 21
See Most Recent

First of all what breed of dog have you got
When did you last give them flea treatment & with what
Are they moulting
Where do you walk them?

**********Sam**********
Message 3 of 21
See Most Recent

They are Yorkie x Lhasa Apso. Flea treated a few months ago, no evidence of fleas on them, use the flea comb every day as a precaution and no flea dirt, never seen any fleas on them, and it would be easy to see them on the light-coloured dog. I walk them along the clifftops or sometimes just stick to the pavements but the grass verges round here are very overgrown this year, so wondered if it could be a grass allergy. We have gravel in the back garden, don't have a lawn.

Message 4 of 21
See Most Recent

P.s. They don't moult and were treated with Frontline.

Message 5 of 21
See Most Recent

OK, thanks for the info I only asked because some breeds are more prone to allergies , it certainly sounds like an allergy especially between the toes but you can also get little mites , we call them chiggers, but grass seeds can penetrate the skin & set up an infection . So to be on the safe side take them to the vets he can confirm what it is & put your mind at rest, most dogs are itchy & scaly this time of year as they are between coats but this obviously can't be the case with yours if they don't shed,, another point if I may you can over groom especially with a comb it can make them sore brushing is better if you get the right type of brush. Hope this helps?

**********Sam**********
Message 6 of 21
See Most Recent

Thanks, Sam; yes it does help. Will get them checked out, also will be more careful with the combing. I usually comb them, then use the flea comb, then finish with a brush.

Message 7 of 21
See Most Recent

Your welcome, yes I understand & it's nice to hear someone who grooms daily but in fact you don't need to comb every day unless their coat is tangled, also if they have an allergy etc it is irritating the skin even more, brushing is fine especially as you do it every day, it keeps the coat nice & clears the dead skin without making it sore, so you get a good girl medal for your diligence ! lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 8 of 21
See Most Recent

Are you a vet's nurse or something saasher?

Message 9 of 21
See Most Recent

Err ! No . Just had dogs all my life

**********Sam**********
Message 10 of 21
See Most Recent

You should get some Malaseb shampoo from your vet. My dogs also lick their paws, rather annoying but difficult to get them to stop.

I felt like a change ok?
Message 11 of 21
See Most Recent

It could well be eczema.  I'd put money on it, in fact.  Don't worry, it's not contageous.   It normally start at the base of the tail and works it's way up it's back with the dog biting and scratching.  It does not have fleas.  The reason your dog scratches is because it's skin, or more to the point the area just under it's skin is getting too hot.  Try an ointment called Exmarid.  It hums a bit and is a brown chalky liquid that soon dries leaving white powder all over the house, but if it is what I think it is - very common with West Highland Terriers, it should clear up within a feww weeks.  I know what I'm talking about - I had a white Westhiland Terrier.

Message 12 of 21
See Most Recent

Carol has a little Yorkie Cross not a Westie. Westies are tough little beggars aren't they! lol Much better to pop to the vets than self diagnose with a little dog like Carols. Well with any dog really.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 13 of 21
See Most Recent

Thanks everyone, lots of useful advice there from you pet lovers. One thing about Yorkasso's (to give them their proper name) is that their coat doesn't get tangled, whereas a true Yorkie's coat does. Will have to see the vet to be on the safe side - cheque book at the ready! heart

Message 14 of 21
See Most Recent

Our furry friends deserve the best don't they. Better safe than sorry. Mine cost ne £65 at the vets last week but she needed to see him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 15 of 21
See Most Recent

I'm just speaking fro earlier experience.  We had her for 11 1/2 years which is about average for a pedigree - she went everywhere with us.  The worst thing she used to do was when my father an I went golfing.  She'd make B-line for a freshly deposited cow pat which she could pick up at 300 yards (G-d, so could I!) and perfume her face in it!  First her chin, then her neck and then her back!  Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOLOK so you gave her a bath, but a week later you could still smell it as you opened the car door!  She was very territorial - used to chase the squirrels, cats, foxes etc. out of our garden, and yet when she was in the woods she took absolutely no notice of any of them.  A Scottie is the worst one  - it'll go for your ankles!  Nasty little things!  I bet it has a heck of a bark - small dogsdo have incredibly loud barks.

Message 16 of 21
See Most Recent

Lol frederike, you think cow poo is bad, try fox poo Smiley LOL

caroleyorkie

I've had Lhasas and they do have very thick coats. Difficult to say what it is really without checking it with the vet, but I used to give mine a few drops of olive oil in their food once a week and a chopped up garlic clove as well, as that wards off fleas saving on the cost of Frontline... Garlic keeps their blood thin too.  If you have them groomed maybe the shampoo they use is having an effect on their skin and drying it out.

As for the licking, no idea really other than cleanliness. Again with my last Lhasa very thick hair between the toes so I used to trim it out a bit and just check for the odd small stone or anything that might get stuck in there and cause pulling on the hair when they walk.

Message 17 of 21
See Most Recent

Garlic is one of natures finest antiseptics both inside & out but not very kiss friendly.lol
Have you noticed how they like to get the smelliest stuff under the collar ? Gawd! It pongs!!

**********Sam**********
Message 18 of 21
See Most Recent

Be careful how you give garlic  as onions and garlic are toxic to dogs. A small amount shouldn't do any harm though.

I already knew this, but a thing I  heard only a few days ago, and seems it's true is that dogs shouldn't eat citrus fruits.

Lottie has enjoyed satsumas all her life.  Now, do I stop giving them or don't I???

Message 19 of 21
See Most Recent

If a dog's enjoyed it all it's life, why stop now?  The dog I was  speaking of earlier loved nothing more than a warm milky tea in the mornings with sugar, and loved the remains of the chicken.  Possibly the two worst things you could given a dog, but she was happy.  She just used to crunch the bones up in it's teeth, which were in impecable condition, and never had any trouble with her       digestion, or bones sticking in her mouth or other vital organs.  Just keep giving it what it's happiest with  If it doesn't like satsumas it won't have them.  Foxes are avid fruit eaters - they'll often tuck in to blackberries or low lying apples.  

Message 20 of 21
See Most Recent