Is it my imagination or is .....................

the forum slowly closing down as more and more peeps fly the nest so to speak ?

FHG does not seem as good or anywhere near as lively as it once did and yes I know it is nearing Christmas but there does not seem to be many peeps left posting any time of year.

Message 1 of 16
See Most Recent
15 REPLIES 15

I agree, it is really quiet, when I first came on here there was loads going on. I think a lot of people use other chat sites DC.
Message 2 of 16
See Most Recent

even some of the peeps that said "this forum will never close because the old guard will keep it going", seem to have fallen by the wayside Ed and hardly post now if ever.

Message 3 of 16
See Most Recent

It's always a little quieter through December anyway I've noticed , lots of peeps busy with work ,shopping,parties,away for the festive season or family visiting.

“I don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh.”
Message 4 of 16
See Most Recent

D/C its not only this forum............ I think many went to facebook (I closed down my facebook account a couple of years ago) ....... got a new one only to keep in contact with my son when he went to aussie...so I dont accept friend requests.

we may be few but you know sometimes thats a good thing.... as we all kinda know each other... posts may be sparse..... I will try to post more....... new years resolution

Message 5 of 16
See Most Recent

I would agree with that about Facebook ,I don't participate in it.
I can't always post as I'm taking on more work & by the time I get home it's very late, I do try to post at some point even if I'm at work but it's not always possible, so I also ask forgiveness !.

**********Sam**********
Message 6 of 16
See Most Recent

i am still here and i use fb but only really to keep in touch with family really.but i like it on here and i have noticed a few new peeps coming in slowly every now and again...

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 7 of 16
See Most Recent

True, it's not as lively as it once was.  Those who are left will have to think of some really good posts to encourage the lurkers in!

Message 8 of 16
See Most Recent

i think there are loads of lurkers as the amout of peeps who read the threads far outweigh the peeps on here i will go and start a thread to see if we can find any.....

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 9 of 16
See Most Recent

It's quite restrictive in here now & so long winded to post photos. No auto spell check, rotton smilies etc. I try to post every day but find Facebook so much more user friendly that I spend most of my internet time there. I am in several Facebook sewing groups too so there is plenty for me to chat about there.:) Not abandoning FHG but here much less than I used to be.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 10 of 16
See Most Recent

Agree with Maggie - I used to post more, but posting is so very restrictive here so gave up. I now post on other boards, which allow much feistier, more robust arguments. Even the odd swear word (shock/horror) I'm also not so keen on the way new posts are formatted within a thread, ie, a new post is posted in reply to someone, but you have to really search to actually find it. Sometimes you just give up. Last post should be the most recent to be read. (IMO). It's annoying. That's pretty much the reason why I've given up, on the whole.

Photobucket

Message 11 of 16
See Most Recent

I must be doing something differently as i don't have any difficulty replying to posts, posting photos or inserting smilies, I use the abc spellchecker above to check my spelling unless I am in a rush.

Personally I don't come on this board for an arguement I use it for chatting, information and fun. There is usually someone about to chat too, and if you post a question someone will answer it in time.

Message 12 of 16
See Most Recent

Ed - personally, I don't have difficulty in posting replies nor have I ever come on specifically for an argument. Sometimes arguments manifest themselves . . .

Forums lend themselves to argument, debate and discussion - that is their purpose. Isn't it ????

Personally speaking, over the years I have engaged myself in friendly conversations, have made virtual friends with some people, have contributed to various Board charities. But some posts can be a bit off-putting. The ones like "Ooh - Redhead you has a private mail". or Goldieeeeeee - check your inbox".  Those cliquey little msgs could be offputting for others wishing to join in, can make it feel like (an unintentional)  'gang'.. Just saying, IMO

If someone on the board has a mail, they will know, surely, without it having to be reiterated so publicly. PMs show up in the recipients' own Inbox, don't they? Genuine question (it has been the way for me, have never felt the need to advertise).

Just sometimes, can feel a little cliquey. I might be wrong, of course, it is just my opinion.

Photobucket

Message 13 of 16
See Most Recent

I have done a couple of the message thingys, simply because the people I am sending to don't always look at their messages, they are not so easy to spot since they changed the format above.  It is not meant to be a secret code or anything and it is a shame if people take it that way, it's just a heads up to the recipient it is usually if I have information for them that I cannot post on the boards for various reasons.

When I first started coming on these boards I was advised by the mods to come to the cafe if I wanted to chat as I was doing that on the other boards,and got a couple of slaps for going off topic, the mod said if I wanted lively debate to go to the Round Table and if I just wanted a chat to go to FHG so I did just that.

I have been involved in a few humdingers on the round table, but find that it feels a bit out of place on FHG.

I have only been on here for just over a year and for the most part have enjoyed it very much.  It is a way of finding out information about all sorts of things, from health to cookery,  there are an awful lot of people who just have a look at the threads and maybe some would find them trivial, but most of it is just the everyday chit chat we would have face to face.

I was made to feel very welcome when I first came to FHG and I have participated in the charity auctions and secret santas.

I wasn't inferring that anyone came on the FHG looking for an argument, just that I wasn't.

There are quite a few people on other boards who have quite strident and aggressive views on things and some people can find that off putting, especially when you try to put your views and you are shot down the minute you speak. Or there are a number of people who if they are not winning an argument will change their ids and post nasty and hurtful comments.  We don't thankfully have that on FHG.  Bit like a big coffee morning really.

If you are posting on here I don't think you need to worry about being ganged up on like on other boards.

Message 14 of 16
See Most Recent

Well said ed Woman Happy

********************************************************************************
Be not inhospitable to strangers, lest they be Angels in disguise.

Message 15 of 16
See Most Recent

I'm guilty of hardly posting or even signing in anymore 😞
I do go on FB more because I have my selling pages on there ............ BUT I also spend a lot less time online now anyway so even they gets neglected  Smiley LOL
I will probably come back on here more in the new year when I have more free time but atm a little person thinks everytime the laptop goes on its for her & it having a touchscreen doesn't help .... she always manages to sneak a poke at it & change, post, close, zoom or whatever  Smiley LOL
If I do come on here everyone else has usually gone to bed  Smiley Sad

" I do love knitting patterns.”
-- Dumbledore, The Half-Blood Prince (2005)
Message 16 of 16
See Most Recent