I need help with this lovely lady.....

As an expat, I usually just lurk here, as I always enjoy reading your interesting posts & topics, however, today I actually have a question for the board...

This old photo is currently being discussed over on the USA eBay Antiques Forum, and I seem to be the only poster who thinks perhaps the lady is British ???

Maybe a Governess, or Nanny?

She does have an air of authority & importance about her, doesn't she.?

A poster had suggested Church related, maybe a nun or Mother Superior, however, she is wearing earrings, so that idea was quickly squelched.

I thought perhaps the regulars here on the board would have some ideas?

The owner of the photo gives a possible date of 1880-90.?

CCF04172014_00001.jpg

Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated.  TIA.

Message 1 of 28
See Most Recent
27 REPLIES 27

Re: I need help with this lovely lady.....

Could the hat be a traditional Welsh one, and the angle the picture's taken from makes it look as though it's lower?  I don't think she looks particularly Eastern European - she doesn't have the right Slavic features.

Message 21 of 28
See Most Recent

@ilove2patch wrote:

Sje doesn't look British to me.

Is 'Sje' a British word?Smiley Tongue

Ignore anything under this ^^^^^ line... It's just my signature....
Message 22 of 28
See Most Recent

@**bustysinclaire** wrote:

She looks Armish to me.

Amish.... With earrings? Are they allowed to wear them?

Ignore anything under this ^^^^^ line... It's just my signature....
Message 23 of 28
See Most Recent

Sje is Dorset for she. Surely you knew that? No the Amish don't wear any jewellery. 4_1_3v.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 24 of 28
See Most Recent

An Amish Governess?????.

Message 25 of 28
See Most Recent

Not religious - nuns were not allowed to show their hair until about 1970/71

Not Amish - headress is wrong and they don't wear jewellery.

The pleating on the dress looks 1870's German to me.

The black ribbon under the chin is a sign of mourning - but probably attached to the headdress.

Perhaps one of the reasons that people thought 'Victorian' is that Victoria was married to a German (Prince Albert) and therefore, our culture was influenced by styles that she had seen elsewhere. 

It would appear to be a later stage of mourning as the veil which was attached to the bonnet is no longer there.  (The veil would be brought over the face when out-doors.  Similar a bride who wear a 2-tier veil..... one to cover the face as she walks up the aisle.).  Remember that widows and mothers mourned 'publicly' for 12 months in those days - hence the stages of mourning attire. 

I am not quite getting the white neck ruffle (more like a lace bow) at the moment.

Message 26 of 28
See Most Recent

Well, that dress doesn't look to me like anything that a servant would wear. Lace was very expensive , and there is a lot of lace there. Just look at the sleeves - very full, very elaborate - a lot of both work and fabric there  - would any sort of servant be able to afford that.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 27 of 28
See Most Recent

Can't see in the picture but those would probably be "mutton" sleeves so they get tighter past the elbow. Looks very much like mourning clothes to me and although the pic is in black & white/cepia, I would guess the earrings are something like black agate or jet which were worn when morning. White ermine trim around the bonnet so not a servant.

Black white and purple were traditional colours for mourning. No idea if she's American or European, probably 1865 onwards I would guess. 

Message 28 of 28
See Most Recent