I Thought the NHS was Strapped for Cash

Went to the Doctors surgery this morning for blood tests and blood pressure test.

Blood pressure was a bit high, so they sent me to the hospital`s GP Support Unit for follow up

I was there for about 3 hours, having more blood taken, more blood pressure tests, and ECG and some general prodding and poking by a doctor.

A lot of hanging about, but I was given periodiic cups of tea and some sandwiches.

Around 6pm, the doctor said he would order a taxi home for me, and that it wouldn`t cost me anything.

He said to wait in the lobby by main entrance and driver will come and get me.

I thought he probably meant a car from the volunteer car service, but when the driver arrived, it was an actual taxi, with the meter running.

I got home, and the meter read £17.90, but I wasn`t charged.

I felt guilty and offered to pay, but driver wasn`t having any of it.

That is the first time that has ever happened to me.

Photobucket
Message 1 of 10
See Most Recent
9 REPLIES 9

It is ridiculous I agree.  The last time my mum was in hospital, they arranged for one chappie to go home by taxi.  I can't remember where he lived and I've no idea of the cost.

Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent

What makes it more ridiculous is that I could have easily got home for free on the bus.

A couple of minutes walk to bus station and one bus home.

I told the doctor this, but he insisted.

Photobucket
Message 3 of 10
See Most Recent

mustard, you may as well enjoy your free taxis home, or the money will only be spent on boob jobs for chavs instead.

Shortly before she died my mum had to have a walking frame, supplied by the NHS, and previously I have had crutches after knee operations. On both occasions we were told they didn't want them back due to possible cross contamination. They went to a charity shop. Surely it would cost less to clean them, than it does to throw them away and constantly have to buy more.

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 4 of 10
See Most Recent

The day my mum came out of hospital the last time she was in, there was a lady who was supposed to be fed by staff but because she was old, they didn't seem bothered so she had to feed herself.  The soup she was having went all over the bed poor love.  My mum put the covers from this ladies bed on her bed and one of the nurses went mad saying it was cross contamination.  Now, my mum was leaving the hospital later that day and my mum's bed was waiting to be cleaned and made up again so how could there be cross contamination?

Message 5 of 10
See Most Recent

Here, for longer distances there's "Patient transport" and the drivers get 39p per mile, doesn't seem a lot?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 6 of 10
See Most Recent

I have I.V. anti-biotics that have to be made up daily. The hospital send them every morning by taxi. Quite often when the nurses come to administer them, they will find that they are short of dressings, cleaning stuff, heparin, syringes or whatever, so they phone the hospital pharmacy, and the items are sent by taxi. Now common sense would dictate that the stuff the nurses want could be sent the next day, with the daily meds, but no yeat another taxi fare.

We have offered numerous times for my husband to go and collect the meds, but this isn't allowed.

The meds actually last 4 days once made up, but the pharmacy say that they haven't got time to make up 4 doses at once.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 7 of 10
See Most Recent

Been in and out of hospital four times since the beginning of September - on each occasion the hospital tried to arrange transport for me to go home and only relented because my wife turned up in the car to collect me.

The same was the case for many others in the ward - they seem to take very seriously anything that can cause stress when dealing with heart problems.  The discharge sheet from St Thomas', London specifically states that public transport must not be used when travelling home.

Message 8 of 10
See Most Recent

The discharge sheet from St Thomas', London specifically states that public transport must not be used when travelling home

But isn`t a taxi a form of public transport?

According to the bus company it is.

When I was a bus driver, some drivers got casual jobs during their holidays

This was permitted as long as it was not with a company in competition with the bus company, and this included taxi companies.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 10
See Most Recent

Technically I guess a taxi is a form of public transport - the difference in this case being though that the driver would be aware of their passenger's condition and if there was a problem would be in a better position to take the appropriate action than a stranger.

Message 10 of 10
See Most Recent