How to cook fish fillets?

mouse4702
Conversationalist

Evening all - on tonight's foray to the reduced-price chiller cabinet in T*s*o, I got a fillet of swordfish and a fillet of sea bass half price.  If they were fish steaks I'd know how to cook them, but don't know how to "do" them as fillets to get the best out of their flavours.  Does anyone have any idea how I can cook them simply?

Message 1 of 19
See Most Recent
18 REPLIES 18

I'll be honest right now and say I don't eat fish. BUT I did have a German housemate once who swore by poaching fillets in a pan of milk. He'd add some whole herbs or spices sometimes, depending on the kind of fish it was, but basically, he'd stick an inch of milk in a pan, and put the fillets in, and then bring it to a simmer until it was done. You might want to wait for someone who actually eats fish and milk, though, before taking my advice on this :-)!
Message 2 of 19
See Most Recent

I'd imagine, though, you could fillets in the same way as fish steaks - such as marinade them in lime juice, maybe, and then sear on a griddle (for the sword fish).
Message 3 of 19
See Most Recent

I do fish in the microwave, 3 mins to start with then check it, as long as it's not translucent in the middle it's cooked. Best way as it keeps all the flavour in.

I've never eaten swordfish, let us know how it tastes.

Bon appetit!

Photobucket

Message 4 of 19
See Most Recent

I've always done whole rainbow trout in the microwave but I've only just started doing salmon in it too.  It's lovely, and as you said capt, it keeps all the flavour in.  I lay it in a dish and put a plate on top. 2.5 mins and it's done. 

Message 5 of 19
See Most Recent

Oooh, nice suggestions, thank you all.  I'll let you know how it goes, but at the mo' they are in the freezer

Message 6 of 19
See Most Recent

wrap it in some greaseproop paper with some herbs and butter and put in hot oven for about 20 mins depending on size then eat with green beans and new potatoes.MMMmmmm

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 7 of 19
See Most Recent

One golden rule. Don't overcook, fish get tougher unlike meat.

Personally I go for tinfoil and oven, microwave is good if the fish doesn't tend to explode, whatever method can be timed properly.

I fry sea bass fillets in butter - 2mins each side - yum Woman Happy

********************************************************************************
Be not inhospitable to strangers, lest they be Angels in disguise.

Message 9 of 19
See Most Recent

That's how I cook fish, in tin foil in the oven. Might try Salmon in the micowave though, like CG. I once bought a special container for fish to be cooked in the microwave and my Salmon just exploded; think I had cooked it too long though.Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 19
See Most Recent

Oh, and fish like Haddock or Cod poached in milk is lovely. I could just eat some now.......

Message 11 of 19
See Most Recent

Cooor im hungry too. I had some lovely basa Fillet Fish the other day from Iceland (the shop not the place LOL). GORGEOUS it was!!!!!.Woman LOL

Message 12 of 19
See Most Recent

I can't imagine anything worse than putting fish in milk!!!  That's like putting custard on your steak!!

I put the fish in a dish and put a plate over the top.  Not only keeps the moisture in but if the fish does spit it stops the oven getting spattered. Woman Wink

Message 13 of 19
See Most Recent

*turns and swims out ot thread as fast as possible*....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can fail at what you don't want.....so you might as well take a chance on what you love.........

Message 14 of 19
See Most Recent

Hmm ....... poached twishy  😄

" I do love knitting patterns.”
-- Dumbledore, The Half-Blood Prince (2005)
Message 15 of 19
See Most Recent

if we are poaching Twishy in milk CK, we could make some parsley sauce to cover her with....winking smiley.gif

Photobucket

Message 16 of 19
See Most Recent

quick fry the bass don't know about swordfish
Message 17 of 19
See Most Recent

My Mum (born 1920) always poached fish in milk then used the drained milk for a white/parsley sauce, I think thats because the fish flavour is in it. At least we had fresh fish as we lived by the sea but I hate the white fish they use now, its tasteless and unless you use strong flavours to marr it its vile! I cannot use vinegar or lemon and herbs spoil that natural flavour of fish, bring back our British fish I say.

I prefer salmon fillet wrapped in tin foil skin side down, drizzle with soy & honey, bake for half an hour, the honey sticks to the skin and goes crispy.....mmmmm yummie!

Message 18 of 19
See Most Recent

We always microwave salmon.  What I do is cook it on full power for two minutes then let is rest for another two minutes and cook on full power for another two minutes.

Message 19 of 19
See Most Recent