Have tou tried Windows 10 yet, and if so what do you think to it?

I have tried it and I quite like it.

I have a new poot ( a birthday pressie), very posh windows surface tablet. I am getting to quite like it. I am a coward though, I chose Windows 8.1 as I didn't want to have to get used to a new poot and a new operating system at the same time.

I will upgrade to Windows 10 in a few weeks when I am used to the tablet.

I am however sticking with my old version of Office , I object to being charged £6 per month for Windows 365.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 1 of 24
See Most Recent
23 REPLIES 23

The chap in the computer shop close to me told me not to upgrade yet as they are having some teething problems so I am waiting until he says it's ok to go ahead.:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 24
See Most Recent

I dont mind it either Stroppy, took me a while to figure it out as I came from windows 7. Needed to take off other printer/scanner stuff and just left my own wireless one and it picked it up straight away. Dont use office or skype so didnt want either of them opened. I use microsoft works as I dont do much of that stuff anymore. I wish there was a way of it saving your password at the opening as I hate having to log in each time.

Message 3 of 24
See Most Recent

I've tried it and I reverted back to Windows 8.1.  Every time I tried to refresh a page, I took about ten attempts as all I kept getting was Cortana.  Also, I had the screen changing from landscape view to portrait and I had the devil's own job to sort it out again.  That happened twice.  In the end, I gave up on it.

Message 4 of 24
See Most Recent

Not me because my computer is that old it is still running the original Windows XP.

Message 5 of 24
See Most Recent

and me DC xp here and happy with it.  and as the saying goes if it isn't broken don't fix it.

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 6 of 24
See Most Recent

I find it quicker than 8.1 alright. I don't notice much of a difference really.

but them I'm a computer numpty so I'm probably not using it as well as Stroppy would.

Photobucket

Message 7 of 24
See Most Recent

Am I really the last person on earth who worries about privacy? I suppose I probably am.

That aside, I was very tempted to give W10 a try. It looks nice and quick and light on resources, after all.

The total lack of control over updates was what initially put me off, and I'm glad it did - as the stories started emerging. There's lots on the internet about Windows 10 and privacy problems; this is probably as readable a starting-point as any:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/03/windows_10_privacy_defaults/

It seems that they could have made setting the privacy options during installation a little clearer - sneaky. At least the settings can be changed later, but it seems that the system just can't stop itself telephoning home.

Now they've back-ported data-slurping to Windows 7 and 8x via updates. Ouch.

What really amazes and worries me is that there's been absolutely no fuss made about MS's data mining, except on tech sites - most of which lesser mortals like me struggle to understand.

Very worrying stuff, and I think I'll hang on and see just how bad or trivial it really is. It ain't looking promising.

Message 8 of 24
See Most Recent

I've moved to Windows 10 on my laptop - I find it more stable than 8 and its iterations BUT it keeps getting rid of my blooming desktop: which is where I save documents I am currently working on (yes, stroppy, I know this is bad!): it seems more geared towards tablet and 'phone users than regular computers.  But I am not techy at all, so am probably not using it right/...

Message 9 of 24
See Most Recent

We tried it, and went back to 8.1 after a few days as we lost all our sound.  Many others have had the same problem.  They seem to have released it before testing it properly

Message 10 of 24
See Most Recent

They always release things without testing it to destruction - remember how bad Windows 8 was at first, and they had to upgrade it to Windows 8.1

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Message 11 of 24
See Most Recent

@hefzi wrote:

I've moved to Windows 10 on my laptop - I find it more stable than 8 and its iterations BUT it keeps getting rid of my blooming desktop: which is where I save documents I am currently working on (yes, stroppy, I know this is bad!): it seems more geared towards tablet and 'phone users than regular computers.  But I am not techy at all, so am probably not using it right/...

I do exactly the same hefzi, anything that is a work in progress is on the desktop. I suppose that I should get organised and sort out cloud storage for work in progress.

I find that on the PC at work, windows 8.1 regularly looses all the shortcuts on the desktop, actual documents are fine, but shortcuts disappear almost every time you blink. I now have a folder with all the shortcuts in so that I can just copy and paste them back.

Message 12 of 24
See Most Recent

Ooh, that's a good idea - I hadn't thought of a shortcuts folder: that happens to me at work too - I don't understand why it eats them and nothing else, but I suppose I should be grateful!  Thanks for the tip 🙂

Message 13 of 24
See Most Recent

I swapped over to it and haven't any problems yet, however as far as privacy goes I switch to Linux Mint.

Windows 10 is the work of the devil, whoever invented this should explain why. It's about as useful as a chocolate fire guard 

Photobucket
Message 15 of 24
See Most Recent

@mini_ok wrote:

Windows 10 is the work of the devil, whoever invented this should explain why. It's about as useful as a chocolate fire guard 

Couldn't agree more.

Message 16 of 24
See Most Recent

I also like it, it's not perfect, but it's an improvement over my Windows 7, my only gripes were that I had to download the games for it and that if I use Photoshop, the tools and layer boxes don't go off screen if I click onto another open window like Chrome, file browser etc, I have to minimise the Photoshop program. But apart from that, nothing really to complain about! Plus it was free, can't say no to a good freebie 😉

Message 17 of 24
See Most Recent

I find it a bit clunky but I'll probably get used to it eventually.

One irritating problem is it's refusal to recognise British Summer Time, no matter what I do it reverts to GMT.

Bank, I'm still trying to work up the enthusiasm to fire up my two W7 machines in order to remove the snoopy stuff,

The thought of using W10 really is increasingly problematic for us tinfoil hat-wearers.

Still - for those who actually want to persist with W10 and want to retain at least some degree of privacy, a couple of links which might prove helpful:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-10-privacy-guide.html

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/07/30/windows-10-and-privacy/

A fair bit of work. Perhaps that suits MS, however - presumably, most users simply won't bother.

When it comes to real-life work on the machine, I'm with Bank - Linux all the way...

Message 19 of 24
See Most Recent

If you have Windows 7, I wouldn't bother changing

Most of the changes in Windows 10, were made to sort out the mess they made of Win 8, by  returning back to what was in 7

You have above 10 months of the free upgrade, so just let others  suffer the bugs

If you are on a PC without a touchscreen, why bother changing anyway

Message 20 of 24
See Most Recent