HORNETS! OMG!!!!

Just seen my first live hornet - I nearly freaked out!  I'd rather deal with a scorpion any day of the week!  My body reacts badly to wasp stings, but a hornet!  Man, I'm leaving home!

Anybody else scared of them?

Message 1 of 16
See Most Recent
15 REPLIES 15

Re: HORNETS! OMG!!!!

lol, I'm not scared of them but very wary, they are not as aggressive as wasps but if they sting you it's loads worse than a wasp.only good thing is they hunt wasps for food & believe me they are good at it, we used to have loads of ivy growing in the hedges on the farm drive , when it flowered it used to be covered in insects including honey bees & wasps, the Hornets used to hunt them, sting & carry them off to their nest. They look scary for a reason keep well away from them!

**********Sam**********
Message 2 of 16
See Most Recent

N times worse than a wasp sting, and they look fierce for a reason so keep well away from them?  Thanks Saash - that's most  reassuring!!! Smiley LOLSmiley LOL

Message 3 of 16
See Most Recent

I wonder why you haven't seen one before Frederick?  We don't get as many hornets as wasps but we get our fair share,

I've never been stung by a bee or a wasp so I wouldn't like a hornet sting for my first try!   Woman LOL

Message 4 of 16
See Most Recent

lol. Don't what ever you do wear a yellow & black striped jumper !.
They don't look for conflict Frederick if that's any consolation! & if you do antagonise it a well aimed smack with a rolled up newspaper or a fly swat will solve your problem for you , luckily unlike a wasp they don't fly fast & are a bigger target!. lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 5 of 16
See Most Recent

Just an afterthought , make sure if you decide to do battle with the said Hornet that you do it properly, a Hornet with a sore head bent on revenge doesn't bear thinking about! lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 6 of 16
See Most Recent

Message 7 of 16
See Most Recent

My ex (Kiwi, brought up on farm), used to douse the nest with lighter fuel, set it alight, burn it off (hose at the ready), he did both a hornets nest (under garden table) and a wasps nest (under eaves of house).  Don't know I'd recommend it for everyone, but it sure worked.

Nobody told me there'd be days like these,
Nobody told me there'd be days like these,
Strange days indeed, strange days indeed,
Most peculiar Mamma.....................................
Message 8 of 16
See Most Recent

ILL GO SCREECHING MAD IF I SEE A HORNET OR A WASP OR A BEE. i HATE THE THINGSWoman Surprised

Message 9 of 16
See Most Recent

I love bees they're so cute, I can watch them for ages...better not come into our garden then Rose, in summer the place is heaving with them!!

wasps are fascinating to watch but I keep telling OH not to swat them as it just makes them mad, they go away quickly enough if you ignore them.

I put my head back in school when I was 5 and there was a wasp on the back of my neck, it stung me....I learned what the word meant very sharply gawd, it hurt! if a wasp gets too near me I still tip my head back!

Photobucket

Message 10 of 16
See Most Recent

@captainbovine wrote: I keep telling OH not to swat them as it just makes them mad, they go away quickly enough if you ignore them.

I always remember everyone giving my bald granddad the same as a wasp crawled across his shiny pate. He sat stock still for around 10 minutes.

And then the bugga stung him!

Message 11 of 16
See Most Recent

But did any of these hornets attack Victor Mature?
Message 12 of 16
See Most Recent

I TROD right on a wasp once,,,,BLOOMING HECK it hurt!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Horrible pain!!!!.Woman Sad

Message 13 of 16
See Most Recent

Yes very & unlike a bee they can sting ya more than once, I'm with CB on this I love Bees especially bumbles I go out of my way to rescue them unlike the wasp which I gleefully kill at the first opportunity! Evil or what? lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 14 of 16
See Most Recent

I just had to dispose of this little big chap!!  It's not a very clear photo 'cos I wasn't getting any closer!!  He didn't like it when I walloped him with the fly swat and it took two or three good wallaps before he was pronounced deceased!!!

Message 15 of 16
See Most Recent

lol. No they don't like it when you smack em do they?
Time to worry when they decide it's time you got a smack back!. lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 16 of 16
See Most Recent