Fame

Thought I'd try to start up a thread. Anyone got a claim to fame ?   My family has a street named after us due to having the same family living in one house for over 100 years. The house has been demolished now but the entrance to a new street was built where the house once stood.

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 1 of 23
See Most Recent
22 REPLIES 22

Fame

i can do the rubik cube.

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 2 of 23
See Most Recent

Fame

I never could get the hang of that. Wasted a lot of my life trying though.

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 3 of 23
See Most Recent

Fame

Not sure if it is a claim to fame, but after doing my family history, I have discovered that I am distantly related to George W Bush.

Eleventh cousin, once removed apparently.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 23
See Most Recent

Fame

George Dubbya ? - well, he's pretty famous!!!.

I've been doing my family history too, that's how I found out about our street.. How far back have you gone.  I've managed to go back to 1628, although I've not yet confirmed it all. I'm completely fascinated by my ancestors - who they were and what they did. After all, they all played a part in making me who I am. Found a few skeletons in cupboards too !!!Smiley Surprised

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 5 of 23
See Most Recent

Fame

Errr... those of you who know my real name can discover quite a bit by Googling me and seeing what I've been in the papers a bit for over the years, but what you can't find out by that means is that my great(12th) grandfather was Judge Jeffries...!! Smiley Surprised

Message 6 of 23
See Most Recent

Fame

Smiley Surprisedoh no

photo broke.gif
Petal
Message 7 of 23
See Most Recent

Fame

how boring am I? no claim to fame whatsoever. I've been doing my family history for many years and not even anything mind blowing in that, although one ancestor was thought to have been a witch finder but the necessary documentary proof is not available so could just be speculation.

Message 8 of 23
See Most Recent

Fame

What have you been doing to get yourself in the papers then ? It wasn't a hanging offence was it ? Smiley LOL

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 9 of 23
See Most Recent

Fame

@023mjc wrote:

What have you been doing to get yourself in the papers then ? It wasn't a hanging offence was it ? Smiley LOL

No, nothing on the wrong side of the law; just stuff like my hovercraft project, having an art exhibition, doing some charity stunts, being quoted a few times on variopus subjects - that sort of thing.  Nothing particularly major, but nothing naughty either.

Message 10 of 23
See Most Recent

Fame

My cliam to fame: I have danced with Len Goodman Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 23
See Most Recent

Fame

Must admit that I'm like Myra - I don't have a claim to fame.

Message 12 of 23
See Most Recent

Fame

I danced in front of Dane Margot Fontein once when I was little and I made a sandwich for Danny last Rue.
Message 13 of 23
See Most Recent

Fame

OK Ed, what was in the buttie!!!

I think I may have a claim to fame with John Skeaping the sculptor. Haven't looked into it yet but one day I might.

Photobucket

Message 14 of 23
See Most Recent

Fame

No claims to fame here, either - but I am impressed by being in such distinguished company *curtseys*

I have an unusual surname, and there is a street by that name round the corner from where I live - it's pretty seedy and rank, though, so I hope it wasn't named that because one of my predecessors lived there: it would be like that sketch on Amrstrong and Miller (I think) - the Who Do You Think You Are one, where he discovers his ancestors in a brothel...  I haven't even met any famous people (one of my colleagues thinks he famous, but he's just delusional :-D).

Message 15 of 23
See Most Recent

Fame

I once was the cause of total chaos when the cast of Warhorse brought Joey and Topthorn to visit me.

Ward Matron was furious - ony 2 visitors per bed - there only were two, Joey and Topthorn.

The cast were good sports and they went round all the wards and spent time in the staff dining room.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 16 of 23
See Most Recent

Fame

Also discovere8d that my 4th great grandfather was transported to Australia as a convict in 1837 for stealing a waistcoat

Photobucket
Message 17 of 23
See Most Recent

Fame

No fame, but we've been investigating family too & it's fascinating!!

One of our antecedents in her late teens (age 16 onwards) spent time caring for a younger relative (pushing him around in his pram etc) & eventually married him - which is a family scandal which was never acknowledged (unsurprisingly)

Lot of sad stories from way back - twins whose Mother died giving birth, who were brought up by Grandparents; the Father went his own way.  I expect every family has much of that kind of thing; life was more cruel in that way.  Medical advances have helped a grear deal, thankfully

One family member was thought to have died, though there were no certain records.  We turned him up in S Africa where he joined the army: he stayed there & married again!!  His wife & children struggled on & went to the workhouse Smiley Sad

Message 18 of 23
See Most Recent

Fame

(the first wife I mean)

I was brought up ajacent to Pinewood Studios & had a friend who lived in the gatehouse there.  Her Dad was Personnel Manager there (in charge of staff working there, not the stars!)  My friend & I used to play in the grounds, & watched a lot of filming there in the gardens & on the sets & stages

We watched 'Summer Holiday' - with the Prima Donna Cliff Richard.  Hank Marvin was nice though - & bought us orange squash!!

We watched parts of 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang being made (I really remember Sally Ann Howes who was sweet - she was all dressed up & sitting on a swing singing.  We were fascinated because she WASN'T ACTUALLY SINGING Smiley Surprised

Oliver Reed was horrible & leery & tried to buy us alcohol - we were only about 10 or 11.  Creepy

Then there was Roger Moore - he was lovely, being both amusing & chatty, & Peter Cook was probably the favourite; he was great; really natural & unassuming, & funny too

Fun times - interesting!!

Message 19 of 23
See Most Recent

Fame

I'm surprised even Oliver Reed would stoop that low. What a low life.

It must have been great though, for a kid to meet so many stars.

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 20 of 23
See Most Recent