Fame

Thought I'd try to start up a thread. Anyone got a claim to fame ?   My family has a street named after us due to having the same family living in one house for over 100 years. The house has been demolished now but the entrance to a new street was built where the house once stood.

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 1 of 23
See Most Recent
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Fame

Interesting to read so many stories!

When I was a child, the family spoke periodically about Sid, my grandfather's brother, who disappeared in the 30s and was never heard for again.  It was only fairly recently, when I was asking my Dad if he thought Sid could still be alive (he had been the youngest) when all was revealed: "disappeared and never heard from again" was family-speak for "ran off with a married lady to the Isle of Wight" - not quite marrying a relative, but pretty shocking at the time.  What was more bizarre was that none of us cousins were ever told the true story - until my Dad dropped it: cue mad emailing between us all 70 years on...  (Sid also, allegedly, returned to Hampshire, but was sent on his way by his brothers, for breaking his mother's heart.  However, I have it on good authority that woman never had a heart, so who knows?)

I'd love to have the time, patience and ability to research family history:  I love the stories.  There was a family rumour in the 1890s, apparently, that one great-something was a by blow from the then Marquess of Bath (her mother was a maid at Longleat): interestingly, as her great grand-daughter was dying, she apparently started looking more and more Thynne-esque (Thynne-ish) so perhaps it was even true...

Message 21 of 23
See Most Recent

hefzi, If you love the stories you really should start your family tree. It does take a little time and patience, but it's not difficult with the internet.  I started over 40 years ago - pre internet, and that WAS hard work. There's a little money involved too, but it's not a fortune and I don't spend mine on much else. Well worth it for my "hobby".

I've found out so many interesting facts and been able to prove, and sometimes disprove the family stories. However, there is no smoke without fire, and the stories I have disproved, or shall we say corrected, have been far jucier than the original story which was misquoted over the generations.

You could probably find out about the "maid at Longleat". I too have a maid/Master situation although nowhere near as grand as Longleat..I don't know how hard it would be to get the census for the stately homes, but I've got access to the necessary sites. If you want to send me a PM with the details I'll have a look for you. I could check out Sid too.

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 22 of 23
See Most Recent

Ah, bless you 🙂  But I am sure you have plenty of better things to do than trawl through my family's dubious history!

I do think it's amazing what people can find out, and how much information is available if you know how to look for it: though I suspect most historic church registers aren't housed in churches these days...  I suspect also that many faimly stories are just that: stories.  I am always interested by people who bring grandad's medals to these antique shows, and then say that he was killed on the first day of the Somme-  when the medals they are holding in their hands show that he was alive at the end of the war.

My Great Aunt was brilliant for family stories (she was married to one of Sid's older brothers) and I always used to say I'd go and tape them: it was a real insight into rural Hampshire before and during WW2.  Sadly, I moved abroad, and never made time for it - until it was too late 😕  She was absolutely my favourite aunt of all time, though, and even when she had to move to a home, before she died, we used to retell some of the old stories and sing: for some reason, she used to sing to us in the bath when we were down staying!

Message 23 of 23
See Most Recent