Egg Custard Tart

Can anyone help with this? Ive followed the recipe exactly but my custard filling isnt very deep; in fact its quite flat! Not like the picture in the recipe book. (I know the pictures are made to look appealing, but even so.....LOL ) I would like to know where I am going wrong. Thanks in anticipation of any repliesSmiley Happy

Message 1 of 11
See Most Recent
10 REPLIES 10

Egg Custard Tart

Without more information I have no idea!

Are you using the same size case to cook it in?

Message 2 of 11
See Most Recent

Egg Custard Tart

Without wishing to be obvious Cookie can you just put more filling in, are you using a bigger case than the recipe?

Message 3 of 11
See Most Recent

Egg Custard Tart

I wondered about putting more filling in. Yes, I'm using the correct size tin.

The recipe is: (from the Be-ro book)

4oz bero short pastry

2 medium eggs

Half pint of milk

2 tbsp sugar

Heat oven to 190C

Line a 7" flan tin with the pastry and bake blind

Reduce the heat of oven  to 180C

Whisk eggs, bring milk and sugar to the boil; pour onto eggs and cool

Strain into the pastry case and sprinkle with grated nutmeg

Bake for about 20 minutes until set

Message 4 of 11
See Most Recent

Egg Custard Tart

I usually us 3 or 4 eggs when I do one and less milk, I can't find my recipe it appears to have fallen out of my book.

Message 5 of 11
See Most Recent

Egg Custard Tart

Egg custard doesnt rise it just sets the egg and milk, I think they do close up pictures in recipe books!

Message 6 of 11
See Most Recent

Egg Custard Tart

maybe your pie dish is deeper than theirs

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Message 7 of 11
See Most Recent

Egg Custard Tart

It's only a shallow dish. Maybe I will try Ed's idea of putting more eggs and less milk. Has anyone got a better tried and trusted recipe?

Message 8 of 11
See Most Recent

Egg Custard Tart

why not fill your tin with water, see how much that is then you have a guide for  how much egg custard you will need and find a recipe for that amount

it might just need an extra egg yolk or 2

i googled this  http://britishfood.about.com/od/adrecipes/r/custardtart.htm   maybe cookie has a good recipe

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Message 9 of 11
See Most Recent

Egg Custard Tart

Hi - I always get a good deep custard tart using the recipe on the BBC Good Food web site

Not sure if I can post the actual link on here, but you could look it up on the ehir web site it is called Custard tart with nutmeg pastry 

xxx

Message 10 of 11
See Most Recent

Egg Custard Tart

Thanks, Towery and Fluffy; will look it up and have another go soon and let you know the result xx

Message 11 of 11
See Most Recent