ESA - ATOS assessments

Remember son's ESA claim? Well after nearly 10 months they have acknowledged his circumstances have changed and have put him in the support group(or whatever) and paid him loads of dosh in back pay!!! So son is now contributing to his keep 🙂

However we do feel rather guilty because he didn't have to have an assessment, not even a sniff of one which just doesn't seem right with all the hassle some people are having.  Last we heard about Christmas time they had written to a doctor(no idea which one) so maybe he told it how it is.  Not complaining but we actually thought the assessment for all(well nearly all) was actually a good idea in theory.  In practise we are glad to be spared.

Son reckons they want our votes next time and are clearing the backlog ready!.

Now, do we try to get the DLA re-assessed? Or is that chancing it a bit.

Message 1 of 10
See Most Recent
9 REPLIES 9

ESA - ATOS assessments

If he is in the support group then he is entitled to the higher rate DLA so get the claim in now.

Should be sorted just in time for Christmas!

Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent

ESA - ATOS assessments

Neither of my lads had an assessment either, to the best of my knowledge they just went on the form that I filled in. Mind you, I did use my customary cut and paste method so that I didn't confine myself to the silly little boxes.

I am not sure that you can try for DLA again, I think that "new" claims have to be for PIP which has very different criteria - might be worth a good google before making a decision. The statistics for refusal of PIP claims are horrendous - I am dreading the switch.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 3 of 10
See Most Recent

ESA - ATOS assessments

I've just  found this petition on the Government's epetition website if anyone is interested.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/61694

Message 4 of 10
See Most Recent

ESA - ATOS assessments

Is he currently receiving DLA?

If so you should get the higher rate automatically.  Give them a call and let them know what has happened and they will tell you what you need to do next.

If he is not getting DLA at the moment then it will be an assesment for PIP.

Not to bad and, as you have an ESA award, fairly routine.

Worth putting in a claim as you cannot be worse off than you are now and could be worth up to £135.00 a week extra with a possibility of a Mobility Enhancement meaning you can get a car.

Message 5 of 10
See Most Recent

ESA - ATOS assessments

Thank you.

They seem to be giving him the enhanced disability premium rating to which he wasn't previously entitled.  Is that why he may get more DLA.  He is currently on low rate care and low rate mobility which, to be honest, is about right.   It just doesn't qualify him for a blue badge and I need him to have one!  My bones are getting older!!

Message 6 of 10
See Most Recent

ESA - ATOS assessments

Sorry - I didn't realise that he is getting DLA.

I would advise a phone call to the benefits enquiry line to ascertain if he can apply for his DLA to be re-assessed under the old DLA criteria, or whether a request for a re-assessment would automatically generate an assessment for PIP. The categories and qualifiers for PIP are very different to those for DLA, so you do need to be careful.

You might well manage to get the low rate for care increased to middle rate, but an increase to the high rate for mobility is unlikely, especially if it falls under the PIP rules which are even tighter than the old DLA rules.

It might be worth having a chat with the local council, most councils will require an assessment by their panel to grant a blue badge, but he could well pass that and be granted a badge.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 7 of 10
See Most Recent

ESA - ATOS assessments

He wouldn't qualify for high rate mobility on the old system but, if they apply the new assessment the way they say they do, he should garner enough points to qualify on the new one.  If we ask for re-assessment then it is the new system.

An assessment(council) is no bother - can guarantee hewon't be able to walk 3foot!. Unfortunately cannot guarantee he'd get to it. He also doesn't see why he needs a blue badge - ARGHHHHHHHH!!! So automatically qualifying appeals to his poor old Mum.

Ah yes, the book.  Somehow when you are trying to explain how everything affects everything else and how conditions interact and how they affect life one runs out of space rather quickly.  I take the boring into submission route - the answer to every question is basically the same just the words and word order differs It is all saved for the next form.  I am always surprised they get beyond the first answer which is a page and a half explaining how the Aspergers affects the Ataxia which affects the diabetes which affects the ataxia and both of these feed right back to the Aspergers which in turn feeds back to the ataxia and the diabetes and so on and so on and so on. 

Message 8 of 10
See Most Recent

ESA - ATOS assessments

When my mum first enquired about having blue badges, she had to go for a medical and the doctor allowed them for 1 year.  Just before this blue badge ran out, she had to go for another medical.  This time, they allowed it for life.  This was a few years ago so things might have changed since but as has been said, ask your local council.  They'll give you a form to fill in and you take it back once you've filled it in with two passport sized photos.  You can only try.  Good luck.

Message 9 of 10
See Most Recent

ESA - ATOS assessments

my son has a blue badge due to M.S. but doesn't receive DLA or any other benefit because he flatly refuses to apply for it, so you may be able to get one regardless of what level DLA he is on. Think it sometimes depends on which council you are under.

Message 10 of 10
See Most Recent