Do car breakdown services fix/replace tyres due to a puncture?

I am a member of one of the top Breakdown services and have bog standard cover.  I just wonder if anybody knows if they will come and help you at the roadside regarding fixing a punctured tyre. Basically is it cost effective to involve the breakdown service or where possible just take it immediately to a tyre service to replace? 

Many thanks all

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

Do you really need to ask ?????

Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

They do - as long as it's not the roadside immediately outside your house.

If you're not sure you could properly tighten the nuts after putting the spare wheel on yourself, it's always best to play it safe and call for assistance ( tightening too much is as bad as not tightening them enough ).

I should add that if your spare wheel is one of those ridiculous modern space saver ones instead of a proper spare, it'll only be good for a maximum of 50 miles at a speed tot exceeding 50 mph - they're only intended to get you to somewhere where you can get a proper fix done.

Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

Yes l know they will. l have reworded the title, but what l want to know is will the breakdown option save me money rather than going directly to a tyre service?

Sent from Outlook for Android<>
Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

I must admit I'm a little puzzled by your post and cannot understand why you haven't either checked your cover documents or simply called the breakdown service to ask them directly.

Essentially a breakdown service will attend a call-out and either fix the problem or transport the vehicle to either the member's home address or a place where it can be repaired. In the situation you mention the breakdown service will most probably remove the wheel with the damaged tyre on it and replace it with the spare wheel and tyre - they are not a roadside tyre replacement service - and it will be your subsequent responsibility to have the damaged tyre either repaired or replaced at a tyre centre.

The breakdown service won't save you money - you'll still need to visit a tyre centre after you've called them out. They're there to get you moving again, not supply and fit a new tyre for free.

Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

Very much appreciated. My apologies as l had worded the title incorrectly. It was a Sunday evening and was looking for information before ringing a tyre service on the Monday morning. Your advice is excellent and l have got all sorted thank you 👍

Sent from Outlook for Android<>
Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

Similar (sort of) situation where the car did not actually break down.

You may ask, would the AA come out if your exhaust fell off.

Happened with me, where for whatever reason part of the exhaust fell off.

Well not fully. Was dragging on the ground in a dangerous way and I did not have 

the tools to sort it. Could have drove steady home, risking underside damage.

AA came out. Removed it. Through it in the boot and I was noisily on my way.

Astronomy is looking up
Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent