Digging up the road

Go down any high street and it won't be long before you come across long queues of traffic where workers are digging up the street trying to get to electrical cables, gas pipes water pipes et al?  

If I was designing a new town or part of it, I'd insist in a series of heavy duty grills going across the road say every 200 yards, and all electrical cables would go through one channel, all gas pipes go through another etc, so if there is any problem, all one has to do is lift up a grill work on it and replace it either whren you've rectified it, or at the end of the working day so that normal traffic may resume.  Result no digging up the road.  If the problem lies in a house, just a small section of pavement has to be taken up leaving the road clear.  Easy, eh?

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

Digging up the road

They would fill with debris, or worse, water.....
Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

Digging up the road

Yes no digging up the road but what about a gas leak in one of those channels. Someone walking along the pavement drops a lighted match or cigarette butt and hey presto BIG hole in the road and possibly lots of work for the man with the long black car.

Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

Digging up the road

Just an idea - back to the drawing board the, eh?

Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

Digging up the road

Many services are already in ducts and have been for a long time however, some service companies still prefer to lay their services in open trenches.

There are just sooooo many services already in the ground that it would be a monumental task to dig them all up and put them in ducts.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

Digging up the road

Yes, but I'm not talking about digging up the road to relay them - I'm talking about designing an new and up and coming system before they lay any tarmac down.  I reckon it would be worth a try.  Just my two hap'eth.

Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

Digging up the road

Lots of new building sites already lay ducts for services when they build the service roads so I don't know what you mean?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent