Diabetes in an elderly, sick cat...any advice/suggestions would be appreciated

My 14 year old male cat has just been diagnosed with diabetes.  He has been very unwell for several months but blood tests taken 3 months ago didn't pick up the problem.   I have bought insulin & needles and started with his 2 daily doses.  The veterinarian cannot guarantee that the treatment will work short term, if at all.  He is very poorly, has no life in him but is still eating well.  He is thin and his eyes are lifeless.  I love him dearly but am in a dilemma;  should I subject him to all the injections, constant visits to vet's for blood count, etc., or should I seriously consider having him put to sleep?  It is affecting me badly to watch him suffer and I want to do what is best for him and forget my sad feelings.  

Please, could I have the opinion of everyone who picks up this message...whatever it might be?

Thank you in anticipation of replies.   sincerely, bigbertha2014 

Message 1 of 17
See Most Recent
16 REPLIES 16

Sorry to hear about that 😞

Personally i would have him put to sleep if he was mine becuase i'd like my last memories of him to be as happy and healthy as possible but it's a really tough decision.

All the best 

Message 2 of 17
See Most Recent

I dont envy you the decision love. When the condition is stabilised what would the quality of life be. Personally as it is something that could not be cured I would consider euthanasia if the cat was still going to be poorly. I had the same discussion with our vet a year ago and whilst they cant tell you what to do the can give you the choices.
Message 3 of 17
See Most Recent

((())) same as above really! But I dont envy you,but you must forget your own feelings & consider you're cats Quality of life& that alone.

**********Sam**********
Message 4 of 17
See Most Recent

Yes, I'm afraid I would seriously thing about ending his suffereing.  He won't know anything about it, he'll just fall asleep.  You'll be the one who is sad.  You are already sad.  You have to put your cat first.  Woman Sad

Message 5 of 17
See Most Recent

Our cat was also 14 when he was diagnosed with diabetes. He was being treated for high blood pressure and it was picked up in the blood tests. We gave him two injections a day, as close to 12 hours apart as we could, and he lived for another two years. Once the medication was sorted, he was just like any other elderly cat, he wasn't sickly or unhappy, in fact he was full of nonsense. Even our vet commented on how well he was so, although I can't really advise you, if we were in the same situation again, we'd give the medication time to work.  We eventually had to have him put to sleep because of cancer, not the diabetes.  I hope your cat responds as quickly and as well to the treatment as ours did, its so upsetting when out much loved pets are unwell.

Jo.

Message 6 of 17
See Most Recent

Vets will not tell you what to do, but a couple of times I have had similar dilemmas I have asked the vet "what would you do if it were your animal" and once asked "are we keeping him alive for him or me" and have received an honest answer.

So sorry to hear you have to make this decision

Message 7 of 17
See Most Recent

Thank you to the Posters who kindly responded to my Post.  It's heartache for me knowing that Reuben is unlikely to spend the rest of his days feeling well and enjoying a carefree life  The veterinarian said the medication could take several weeks to stabilize his condition and, possibly, may never be effective...no guarantee given to me.  It is for this reason I have decided to have him put to sleep on Monday morning.  He is a gentle, loving boy and he will live in my heart for ever.  Thank you to everyone who took time to get in touch with me.  sincerely, bigbertha2014  

Message 8 of 17
See Most Recent

So sorry a difficult decision I am sure. If you need sime support or just to cry on our shoulders you know where we aee.
Message 9 of 17
See Most Recent

I'm sure you have made the right decision , it's painful I know, but it's the last thing we can do for our pets to send them off when the time is right & they let us know they've had enough! ((()))

**********Sam**********
Message 10 of 17
See Most Recent

I'm very sorry for the descision you have had to make, but I think it could be for the best. You have loved him unconditionally for all this time and now is the time to let him go.

Of course you will have us all to talk to IYKWIM xxxx

Photobucket

Message 11 of 17
See Most Recent

such a hard thing for you to have to do, but something that is part of being a loving owner. You have loved and cared for your pet for so long, and now you are doing the final and most important thing possible for him - the ultimate act of love. We are all here if you need to cry, scream, rant, or just talk. Be kind to yourself and allow yourself time to grieve.

Message 12 of 17
See Most Recent

@moonmoggies wrote:

Our cat was also 14 when he was diagnosed with diabetes. He was being treated for high blood pressure and it was picked up in the blood tests. We gave him two injections a day, as close to 12 hours apart as we could, and he lived for another two years. Once the medication was sorted, he was just like any other elderly cat, he wasn't sickly or unhappy, in fact he was full of nonsense. Even our vet commented on how well he was so, although I can't really advise you, if we were in the same situation again, we'd give the medication time to work.  We eventually had to have him put to sleep because of cancer, not the diabetes.  I hope your cat responds as quickly and as well to the treatment as ours did, its so upsetting when out much loved pets are unwell.

Jo.

I would have to agree with giving the insulin time to work.  My Bella was diagnosed after collapsing; she was 11 at the time. She spent 4 days in the vet's on a drip. When I took her home she was on two jabs a day (beef insulin). She only had a couple of blood tests, in the first month or so - I just used to test her pee (or rather clay litter) with diastyx, in a very rough and ready way. 

Low blood sugar is very much more dangerous than high blood sugar. The vet said cats do very much better with diabetes than dogs - they don't go blind, for a start.  I ended up quite quickly giving just about half the dose the vet started her on;  two meals a day  but always made sure she had  food (not dry) and water available. I waited until she had just eaten before giving the jab, never anything as rigid as 12 hours apart, the insulin has to go with a meal, doesn't matter when.  She didn't mind the jabs, you just have to vary the site. She lived till she was 18, and it was old age in the end.

Message 13 of 17
See Most Recent

If you feel up to it on Monday ask the vet if he knows of any cats needing a good home.

Most vets know of a litter or two that needs homing and will be only too happy to put you in touch.

That is what we have done with our last 3 dogs and it has worked out brilliantly.

Message 14 of 17
See Most Recent

Each animal reacts differently to the treatments given depending on their age , condition etc, although as another poster quite rightly says your Vet will not give you direct answers he/ she will be in a position to tell you if in their opinion it's right for your pet, talk it over with them before you make your final decision, but in the end it is yours to make not theirs & they will not make it for you.
Good luck! ((()))

**********Sam**********
Message 15 of 17
See Most Recent

Hi, I'm so sorry to read about your cat Ruben.  We become so attached to our pets, and it's so difficult to lose them from our lives.  I wish to have seen your post 6 days ago, but maybe I would have not changed your mind anyway.  I realize he is already gone.  I want to share with you some information for other pets you may have and for all who replied to you.  Of course, I don't know what his health condition was prior to diabetes or anything else. 

The number one cause of diabetes in cats is obesity, and the number one cause of obesity is the type and quantity of food.  (just like in humans).  The number one type of pet food that causes problems in many dogs and cats is dry food (kibble).  It does not cause problems in all cats and dogs, there are exceptions to everything, but there is a strong direct link.  Dry food was created for people, it's convenient and it's cheap, and has a looooonnnnngggg shelf life.  But the risks it comes with in our pet's health is very high.  It's so far from their natural diet.  Cats especially are carnivores.  Meat (muscle tissue) contains a high level of moisture.  Dry food does not.  Drinking more water to make up the moisture loss messes wtih cats' chemical balance and strains their kidneys -- also leading to kidney problems and urinary tract infections (crystals).   Their bodies pull water from their own muscle tissue to digest the dry food.  Dry food also contributes to tooth decay -- it really does not "brush" their teeth. 

I wrote a free e-book about some of the risks of dry food, if anyone would like to get a copy, it's at my website:  www.catsgonehealthy.com

For treating diabetes in cats or dogs, homeopathy works wonderfully, and usually works quickly.  There is a company in Australia, Holistic Animal Medicines that has formulas for every type of poor health condition for all pets.  There are also single remedies you can purchase from a local health food store that can bring a cat back from the brink of death.  I've used it myself many times on rescues that were very sickly and on my own cats.  If anyone is interested, post on here and I'll let you know what they are.  There are lots of natural pet stores on-line too selling herb formulas, etc., and they all come with testimonials.  Most reviews are positive -- the product worked.  Veterinary medicine just does not have a good history of healing an illness, rather it is a temporary bandaid.  After doing 5 years of cat rescue and volunteering at an animal sanctuary, I can say with confidence that as long as a cat is still eating, he/she is not ready to go yet.  They just need a little help, with their diet, conventional medicine or natural medicines.  The latter being less toxic, with no dangerous side effects, and comes with the benefit of giving the body an opportunity to heal itself.  Kimberly

Message 16 of 17
See Most Recent

I don't want to cause any offence, but I would have to agree with the above poster, if your little cat

is still eating well, he has time and I'd be inclined to give him a chance, just to see if conventional

medicines - or as suggested above - will work for him.  Fourteen isn't young for a cat obviously, but

neither is it exceptionally old.  Our Paws Cat had surgery at 13, I knew there could be risks but both

the vet and I agreed to give him a chance.  He went on to live to over 21.

I've had cats for long enough to know they are all different though and respond differently to treatments.

It is very daunting, wanting to be absolutely sure the decision you make is the best one for your much-

loved little cat.  If he has just been diagnosed, there is probably a good chance of treatment which will

improve his quality of life substantially.

I wish you peace of mind, whatever you decide.

Hugs,

Fishy x

Message 17 of 17
See Most Recent