Crafts

I know im not actually that good at sewing but i have made some Crafts. I decorated glass Bottles by painting them and adding Feathers and beads round the neck of the bottle. Then i filled them with Bath Salts and gave them to friends for Christmas. I enjoyed this.

Can any of you just throw a bit of advice my way by telling me is there something you started off doing as a Craft Project that ended up with you either selling them on a bigger scale or it taking off and being a Full blown business venture?. Or did you go in with someone else and start a business venture?.

Im just turning things in my mind at the moment and having a few ideas thats all and wanted some good advice,which i know i will get on here!.Woman Happy

Message 1 of 12
See Most Recent
11 REPLIES 11

Crafts

A friend & I had knitting machines in the 1980's & got pretty good at it so we started making children's knitwear & moved into knitting with cotton for children with excema. We sold loads of things to many satisfied customers! We weren't very good business women though & soon discovered we were barely covering our expenses & eventually went bust! People don't want to pay a realistic price for hand made items unless they are very,very special. There are people selling lovely artisan things on Facebook these days but they are things that are unique & extremely well made. The prices reflect that & they seem to be selling. They work as proper businesses & make a living from their ceramics, glass etc. Not something I would go into again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

Crafts

I agree with Maggie unless you have something really special you wont make your fortune. If you make small items you need to make so many to turn a profit its not worth it. I just sell to friends and for charity now.
Good luck though Rose
Message 3 of 12
See Most Recent

Crafts

I love hand knitting.  I've had people comment on some of the things I've knit.  As has been said, people aren't prepared to pay for all the work that's gone into making an item.

Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

Crafts

I tried with my sugar flowers, I did try selling them on Ebay, they sold well for a little while but I found the same as others, that people don't seem to take into account the time and effort spent in the making, they don't want to spend the money.

I stop selling on ebay and just do the odd thing here and there by word of mouth. I still do my cakes though but keep the selling side small.

You do need to find something individual that no one else supplies as the competition will hinder you making lots of money.

Home made chocolates with homemade fancy packaging seems to go well at the moment, and so do vintage style wedding decs.

Hope you find something that you enjoy doing and that ist goes well, it is worth trying at least, you never know something may take off.

such anger,prejudice and hypocrisy on a simple forum supposed to be free for all. I wish you all you all wish for xx good bye

Crafts

You do need a licence to sell food products comercially though.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

Crafts

Now i did think of going on a Sugercraft Course. We have a cake Decoration place in Maidstone and they do loads of courses there,,,its a good idea. The place is lovely too.Woman Happy. What do you mean you need a license to sell chocolates or Sugar ornamental thingys??????.Woman Tongue

Message 7 of 12
See Most Recent

Crafts

To sell food products to the public. They have to have proper labeling & your premises inspected for health & hygiene. A friend who made cakes for a local farm shop had to follow these rules.

Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent

Crafts

Yes they should really .Cat Very Happy. thank you ma dear!!.

Message 9 of 12
See Most Recent

Crafts

@ilove2patch wrote:

To sell food products to the public. They have to have proper labeling & your premises inspected for health & hygiene. A friend who made cakes for a local farm shop had to follow these rules.

Yes it is true, any eatables have to be covered.

Although now the rules on sugarflowers have changed, because many are wired you can no longer advertise them as edable so I don't think you have to be licenced, but all the other rules for running a business would still be enforce.

such anger,prejudice and hypocrisy on a simple forum supposed to be free for all. I wish you all you all wish for xx good bye

Crafts

interesting

Message 11 of 12
See Most Recent

Crafts

Back to the OP's original question, have you thought about selling at "Artisan" style markets in Kent? You mentioned Maidstone, there used to be one in the Royal Star Arcade, (I last visited a couple of years ago, so it may not be there now) with those style of markets people will pay the "going" rate, where as others have said on sales platforms it can be hit and miss, especially when buyers search by say lowest price first and you aren't. However do not lower yourself to that game.

I always believe quality sells, so if you have a quality product sell it at the price you can make some money on it.

My apologies this thread is "prehoistoric" and I have only just noticed the original date.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 12 of 12
See Most Recent