Can text messages be used as evidence for money my ex owes to me??

I am owed a substantial amount of money by my vile ex (good riddance) but I was foolish and did not get an agreement signed by him (I did not envisage that we would split up though tbh).

I do have however, tons of text messages from him guaranteeing that he will pay me and also confirming the amount he owes me (he is waiting on a compensation claim for a car accident).

Now, does anyone know if I were to have to take him to court to get my money back would I be able to use these messages as proof that he owes me the money?

Thanks all in advance.

JJ xxx

PhotobucketAt last!! An ignore button!!!

Message 1 of 8
See Most Recent
7 REPLIES 7

I guess so, I know someone who had sent a text from his phone, admitting his part in a nasty dispute to a 'friend' (bit silly I know) the phone was used in evidence against him and lead to a conviction.  I am not sure if there is a way to make a back up copy of text messages that would show the details of where it was sent from , date etc, in case your phone goes mad and you loose the messages.  Good Luck

Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent

my thoughts harry  is it possible to contact your  network and ask for paper statement of texts also it may depend on wether his phone  is contract or non registered pay as you go .as all he would need to do was throw it away and you will then have no proof  the phone was his so would be better if he is contract.

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 3 of 8
See Most Recent

Yes your right, but I wonder if there is a way you could  print a copy of each message. so if he is on a contract it would be proof I suppose. You would feel awful if your phone died and everything was lost.  Its a shame that PAYG phones are not traceable .

Message 4 of 8
See Most Recent

Personally I would think it could be tricky. You really do need some other proof as a back-up, like paper statements of the texts from the network.

Message 5 of 8
See Most Recent

I would agree.

A lot would depend on whether or not there was a legal obligation to pay, promises can't always be enforced.

A text message can confirm a verbal agreement (which is binding as long as an offer was made, understood and accepted).  So if your ex has texted to indicate that he owes you this money and intends to honour his agreement (either verbal or written) you just have to ensure that you safeguard that text.

Photograph your camera screen if you can't download from your phone. 

Should you need to pursue through small claims court, the level of proof is on 'balance of probablity' rather than 'reasonable doubt'.

Small claims court website is here:

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/overview

Message 7 of 8
See Most Recent

Thanks everyone for all the replies, I am due to be meeting him today for him to sign a written agreement to pay me what he owes me but just wanted this information just in case he keeps cancelling the meeting which he has done twice already.

JJ x

PhotobucketAt last!! An ignore button!!!

Message 8 of 8
See Most Recent