Camera gone - make sure it doesn't happen to you - doh!

Spent yesterday metal detecting at Ramsgate and got back to the car park early.  Made the FATAL ERROR of taking off my digital camera that was hanging round my neck and leaving it on the wall along with my trowel.  Put everything in the car except the camera and case.  That was it - phoned Ramsgate Police - nothing had been handed in.  They've got my number if it does turn up.  It could be it is handed into a local police station once they got home.  The annoying thing is it's no use to anybody unless they have the appropriate charger and camera/computer usb lead.  Kicking myself sensless over this.  It was so EASY to happen.  I've had so many near misses it just isn't true.  Just seen a secondhand one identical to mine on auction for a tenner - no charger or lead.  It's not mine though because one is in a bit of a state.  I might put in a bid for it, but not until the closing seconds.  I could kick myself black and blue over this - nobody to blame but myself.  Sitting here twiddling my thumbs looking at the box it came in and all the works.  Had a new 8 gig card, too.  Trying to make light of it telling my daughter somebody is oogling at photos I took of her - thank God I didn't take anything spicy!  Lol!

So, if you've got a digital camera, keep it round your neck at ALL TIMES!   

Message 1 of 23
See Most Recent
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Camera gone - make sure it doesn't happen to you - doh!

It was a straight pay & display multi-storey car park, with access 24 hours per day.  No office or anything.  It's gone, (groan)  that's all there is to it.  I went after another A2300 but it went for twice the starting price and it was in a real state anyway.  I've got a spare camera -a Pentax L60 to replace the original camera I bought which packed up after the guarantee had expired, so I can use that one for the time being.  Who knows, it might even find it's way on to eBay a couple of months from now.  They're common enough.  Second-hand they're only worth between £20.00 - £30.00   I'll just have to put it on my Wish List.  I'm 70-odd miles from Ramsgate without a car - damned MoT had expired three weeks before the tax was due - knew nothing about it, so I've taken out a SORN - the only thing I could do under the circumstances.  I have to prioritise things - MoT, car tax, camera.

Kismet - Turkish for fate, what Nelson would have said to Hardy.

Not "Kiss me, Hardy, before I die."  surrounded by a load of hard, fighting men.

God, No!  Smiley LOLSmiley LOL

"KISMET Hardy - fate.  I've lost an eye, an arm - my body's been shot up and now this.  That's fate

ish List 

Message 21 of 23
See Most Recent

have you got the serial  number of the camera?

you could  ring round the cash converters type places

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Message 22 of 23
See Most Recent

Took up your suggestion and contacted the hotel we stayed at, who were most helpful.  Knew which car park we used and even managed to get the correct contact telephone at the council who took full details and will ring tomorrow to let me know whether it's been handed in.  How's that for going the extra mile?  That's really putting themselves out for an ex-client.  Still a bit of a long shot, but whether successful  or not, is worthy of mention, as is all the helpful advice and sympathy you have all shown.

Thank you, all of you. Fred.

Message 23 of 23
See Most Recent