Any cat owners?? Advice please....

Hello,

We have adopted a lovely 2 year old female domestic long haired cat from the rescue centre, she had been found wandering the moors with her 2 kittens before being taken to the rescue centre, where she was for 6 months.

We were told she liked a mixture of wet pouch food & dry purina biscuits.

However all she eats is the dry purina - absolutely loves the stuff! When I put wet food down she just isn't interested....my husband is worried that just dry food won't do her any good (he's used to cats that just eat wet food)

Are there any experienced cat owners out there? Just need reassurance really..

Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

Just make sure there is ample water available and it isn't a problem

Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

We haven't fed 'wet' food to our cats ever!

the oldest is 14 and still going strong.

Just make sure there is a supply of clean water available at all times.

Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

Have you tried different wet foods? Cat's are notoriously picky. and change their minds regularly! I have had a cat wolf (!) down a whole sachet of food, and next time I put some down he just looks at me as if I am trying to poison him!

Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

you could also try odd scraps of chicken/beef/lamb & I've yet to find a cat that dislikes cooked liver

Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

Ahh, thank you...I don't feel so worried now.

We were told she liked Felix, so we gave this to her but she hardly touched it. We have then tried all the others - whiskas, gourmet, sheba, supermarket own brand...but she just seems happy with dry food.

Yes, I always make sure she has loads of fresh water 🙂

Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

Your husband worries unduly.  Perfectly normal cat behaviour to prefer dry food as did our two rescue sisters when they first came to us.  Just ensure that there is always drinking water available in/out doors. You could offer small amounts of wet food at times.

Four years on, our two now take wet food but still prefer dry feed.  Can be fussy but ---- thoroughly spoiled!.

Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

FARGVS - I think my husband has always been used to cats that eat wet food. He was under the impression from something said years ago that dry food alone can upset their tummys & make them constipated!

I'll show him all the good advice on here 🙂

Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

Hi Rachel,  as above don't worry, dry food is usually only bad for them if they don't get enough to drink. I have had a fussy cat and I had to serve something different every day otherwise I wasted it, so I just bought 3 different boxes of food and alternated them.  We didn't feed wet food unless we had to get pills and potions down her then it would be one of the small luxury tines.  I have a husband like one of the other posters said, wolfed down a meal one day and then the next time I served it up he turned his nose up.

Well done for taking in a rescue cat.  we have had 3 over the years and they have all been wonderful companions, I would have another one at the drop of a hat, but sadly we have a lunatic rescue dog who is awful with cats, maybe one day when she has calmed down.

Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

Dry cat food is fine & as everyone here says the water consumption is the important thing , there was some controversy some years back that castrate males fed on dried food alone very often ended up with urinary calculus ( gravel) . I don't know what the cat owners think but cats can very often be either meat or fish fanatics . One point with dry food it's good for the teeth !.

**********Sam**********
Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

I leave a dish of dry food for Coco to help herself to, and then feed a small portion of wet food 3 or 4 times through the day. She is papmered at the moment because she has been so ill, but has always been a fussy little madam. She prefers fish wet food to meat and I have found one in Te..o that is 60% tuna and she is loving that at the moment - but now that I have stocked up on it we all know she will go off it and that will be another load of food off to the local animal rescue centre.

Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

er...norty norty....where's the piccie of her then?cat smiley.gif

Photobucket

Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

My cat has a bit of both but they seem to be saying in pet shops and such that its better to feed dry!!. My cat has a varied diet of all things and shes alright. Plenty of water,,especially for older cats i think. My old cat used to eat raw meat sometimes and the vets said she was the healthiest cat they had ever seen.Cat Happy

Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent