Windows Vista Update cure/working

I thought it was time to seriously try to get Vista updates before April. For me Vista Windows update just sat there seeking updates since last July 2016.

I started downloading updates, could only install them by disconnecting internet. Otherwise trying to run one triggered a blocking cycle of trying to find an update for the update before installing!

I got about halfway through my list when I realised on one restart Update came up with updates!

These installed and it all seems fine now. Had fresh updates. I don't know whether Microsoft repaired an update server whatever while I was sorting through or whether an update I installed had the effect of dealing with the problem I (and many others) had.

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

The Vista partition on this old machine was last updated in August.

I left it overnight - something like fourteen hours later, it was still checking for updates.

*Sigh.*

Now comfortably rebooted back into Mint.

It would be nice to update the Vista relices one last time. I wonder which update is the magic update which makes checking for further updates possible. I really haven't the energy to trawl the internet for ideas this evening, but I suppose I should have a go some time.

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

Here is a list of what I initially downloaded,download and start installing from bottom (after disconnecting from internet. After any restart, disconnect again unless/untill windows update starts operating properly.

Good Luck

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - February 2017 (K8890830)           Successful             Important             01/03/2017

Security Update for Windows Vista (K83196348)       Successful             Important             01/03/2017

Security Update for Windows Vista (K83204724)       Successful             Important             01/03/2017

Security Update for Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 3 (K82597974)     Successful             Important             01/03/2017

Security Update for Windows Vista (K83216775)       Successful             Important             01/03/2017

Security Update for Windows Vista (K83198218)       Successful             Important             01/03/2017

Security Update for Windows Vista (K83193515)       Successful             Important             01/03/2017

December, 2016 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, 4.5.2, 4.6 on Windows Vista SP2 and Windows Server 2008 SP2 (KB321014   Successful             Important             01/03/2017

Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (K83118301)               Successful             Important             01/03/2017

Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (K83128020)               Successful             Important             01/03/2017

Security Update for Windows Vista (K83167679)       Successful             Important             01/03/2017

Security Update for Windows Vista (K83177186)       Successful             Important             01/03/2017

Update for Windows Vista (K83203884)       Successful             Important             01/03/2017

Security Update for Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 3 (K83128022)     Successful             Important             01/03/2017

Security Update for Windows Vista (K83198483)       Successful             Important             01/03/2017

Security Update for Windows Vista (K83194371)       Successful             Important             01/03/2017

Security Update for Windows (K83205638)  Successful             Important             28/02/2017

Security Update for Windows (K83204723)  Successful             Important             28/02/2017

Security Update for Windows (K83203859)  Successful             Important             28/02/2017

Security Update for Windows (K83191203)  Successful             Important             28/02/2017

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

Gulp. That's quite a list.

And guess what? I can't get the Windows Download Catalogue to work. According to the error message offered, it needs dom.storage enabled.

Perhaps another night. I'm getting a blessed headache!

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

My vista has been updating automatically since I put on MS security essentials. I wasn't too confident of its antivirus abilities though especially since it was bleating daily about might be at risk, updates ceasing soon. So put AVG back on ( slowed everything down a bit) and turned MSsecs realtime protection off. But its continued to update its definitions daily and so the windows updates have been installing automatically, they are a bit thin on the ground but thats to be expected with the end date so close. I'm afraid I haven't done anything with the 7 laptop so cant confirm the workaround works, but I'm fairly confident it will as its has for vista.

Firefox have just announced they are stopping support for xp and vista. Apparently we are on security updates only until the end of support in September I think they said. Theyve also left the door open as they will re evaluate the amount of xp and vista users and may continue the security updates (no firefox updates) for longer.

I have to say I am impressed with the gentle way firefox  are handling this. Chrome cut off support completely for xp vista a full year before microsofts end date, which given that chrome was the go to when the older versions of IE weren't usable seems a bit daft.

The other issue now is the free antivirus situation. Prior to putting AVG back on, I did intend to put adaware on but once I'd got it downloaded and installed it then announced it didn't support vista. No mention of that prior to installing. I see Avast is saying no vista soon, so am guessing AVG will go the same route at some point.

This one will come off line in favour of the windows 7 laptop so wont be too much of a problem. It was always my intension to update the main computer eventually. Its a nice stainless steel case with pretty blue lights which of course is the important bit lol!!

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent