Is anyone still here? Linux on Chromebook question!

Horrible new boards yuck.

After my Windows laptop went kaput I was gifted a Chromebook, grateful to have it but don't like it much tbh.  It has the option to set up Linux, it's Debian 10 Buster apparently, however it's been some time since I used Linux and I've forgotten most of what I knew, which wasn't a lot.

If anyone can direct me to a website with simple instructions I would be most grateful, as whatever I put in the terminal it tells me I can't do that. Thank you!

*************************************************************************************
Reach for the stars, it stops you sagging xx
Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

0-anthony-0
Helper

I've absolutely no experience with this, though a browser search for 'loading linux on chromebook' brought up a lot of interesting looking results, from dependable looking sources, like https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/install-ubuntu-on-chromebook#1-overview  amongst others

I've chosen that example because you can depend on the ubuntu community to support all comers, at all times, especially those like ourselves with very little experience and knowledge.

I have some vague recollection of you installing Mint 13 (perhaps) which was a stable easy to use system, only the mint community support, in my experience, tends to expect some competence in understanding what you're doing, the exact opposite of ubuntu (though I use ubuntu MATE which has the same desktop as Mint)

I'd suggest searching 'loading linux on chromebook' and see if you can find a result that will assist you. There was a youtube tutorial as well.

I used startpage.com to do my search, though I believe their results are anonymised google results anyway.

Is anyone still here?  - It must be more than 7 years since I was last here. I got an email from 0116af64ec9....@members.ebay.com and I was looking to see if it was safe to open it when I saw an answer sending someone to this forum, so I couldn't not look and I saw you're request. Beyond that I cannot answer that question.

Good luck!

anthony

Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

Hi Anthony!  Hope you are doing ok in these strange times. Yes I had Linux Mint 13, got on really well with it after a lot of initial hiccups and with a lot of help from yourself and OE. 

Thank you for the link, I will check it out.

*************************************************************************************
Reach for the stars, it stops you sagging xx
Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

Thought I'd look in - it's nice to see there's still some life here.

I'm not sure what it is, but there's something about the new forum which seems to discourage participation. Perhaps the old set-up, which allowed one to see lots of thread titles on one page, made casual visits more rewarding. Seller Central, for instance, retains value as a source of both information and entertainment - but if you wonder how an interesting thread worked out, you might have to slog through several pages, or search.

Too hard!

silver and anthony - really good to "see" you again.

I suppose the dearth of interesting threads here is a tribute to the increased reliability and security of modern software.

SL - I've never played with a Chromebook. Let's face it - for a privacy nut like me, anything Google based and intended to be used while logged into Google just doesn't cut the mustard. Sorry I can't be more help.

Could you let us know how you get on with getting Linux onto your Chromebook? It would be most interesting to hear the details.

Bed-time - but nice to visit again.

(Scratches around to try to figure out how to actually post this...)

Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent