Returning item without guarantee of refund

Hi

I purchased a CD recently from a retailer in Japan, but found it didn’t play on my standard CD player. I contacted the seller direct to try and resolve the issue but was simply told the CD wouldn’t play on a standard CD player as it is a SACD as opposed to a regular audio CD.  They said there was a message in the description relating to this issue and so refused a refund.

There is reference to it buried in the description.  However, I believe it’s not clear enough. It simply states the CD requires a SACD player. I argue it should more clearly state that the CD cannot be played on a standard CD player as I was not aware there were different types of CD and CD players in existence. I therefore argue I am legitimately due a refund and I have instigated the online refund process.

The issue I have is that to allow the refund process to begin, I need to return the item to Japan.  This will cost upwards of £14.  The seller has already made it clear they will not refund the payment of their own accord.  However, I don’t want to pay out £14 just to send the item back, then have to start an appeal process, without any guarantee I will receive the refund. 

Advice on this issue would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

open a not as described case -

https://resolutioncentre.ebay.co.uk/

Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

I think it's a bit harsh to expect the seller to pay the return postage & also lose the outward too. 

You state that they have written that '' It simply states the CD requires a SACD player'', which I would take to understand that it won't play on anything else.

Another option would be to list it yourself to sell & recoup your money.

Moving forward, you do have to really read everything in a listing to avoid these problems & ask any questions if you feel something is not clear, before buying.

Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent