Uk buyers now not allowed to buy from America!

Has any other UK buyer had this problem? I'm absolutely disgusted with eBay for ever implementing it. It's so discriminating and weird. Basically if you're in the UK, you are now no longer allowed to buy from any seller in America, no matter how hard it might be to find this particular item, no matter how much you might be willing to pay for it, eBay don't care at all. They should actually be ashamed of themselves, they didn't even have the decency to let UK buyers and American sellers know about this ridiculous new rule. If you haven't already, just try it. You can put any item in your basket, but you just...can't buy any item if it's from America. When you go to checkout, a message comes up saying "sorry this seller won't ship here" despite the fact 1) you probably can't find the item you want anywhere else 2) some sellers are happy to ship to UK and 3) it's global shipping

And the worst bit about it? There's nothing the seller can do. If you are lucky enough to eventually get it shipped here thanks to a workaround, it's eBay that decide the shipping cost, not the seller. So you might find yourself paying more for shipping than the actual item!

I can't even begin to tell you how upset and confused I am about it. UK is not even in excluded countries, eBay are just treating it like it doesn't exist at all. Me and my fiancé had to ask 3 different sellers about sending our most sought after item for our collection (which we did eventually get thanks to one lovely seller ending the listing and re listing it for us- just in a different category) but that's the only way you can buy. I've just had a American seller tell me they will get a account restriction if they send a different item to me, as shipping to UK is no longer allowed. Yet shipping to pretty much every other country is? It's absolutely disgusting!

I wonder if eBay realise if they keep this up, they will lose so many customers! What do you think of this?

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

Btw the item I'm trying to buy? It's a Super Mario playset called Frosted Glacier Deluxe Playset. Nothing illegal, nothing untoward. Just...a playset. On what planet is a playset supposed to be some kinda restricted or prohibited item this is absolutely insane! 

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

I bought something from USA two  weeks ago,  no problems.

BUT most US sellers don't ship outside of the US, and those that mainly use the Global shipping program, which makes the already high import costs really high.

Bear in mind that it costs the seller more in fees to ship abroad, and dealing with late deliveries to foreign countries can be a nightmare, all in all understandable.  Though we do well exporting to US.  Higher fees for us  but low import costs for the buyer often make out collectibles good value.  I used to buy bucket loads from the US, but since the import rule changes, I  buy very very rarely.

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

I used to love buying from the states, but don't anymore because the import charges and postage just kills the deal, which can be as much as or double the cost of the item. Shame really, because you can get some great stuff from there, especially as a collector.

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

eBay International Shipping has blocked the sale of any items which may need UKCA or CE safety marks from US to UK

"We have put measures in place to prevent US items that may not comply with UK regulations, such as CE Certification and/or Plugs and Sockets Regulations, from being sold to buyers in the UK."

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/ebay-international-shippin...

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: