Setting the "DEFAULT" search location.....

How difficult would it be, for eBay to allow you to set the DEFAULT search location.

"Default" is an option, so it must have a setting somewhere, but there it no way to set it.

Would be nice to not have to set it all of the time.

It could also influence the "Other Items"  suggestions, which almost always bring up things from outside of the UK, when I like to buy from the UK.

"You have to set it every time" is just not a satisfactory answer.

Message 1 of 51
See Most Recent
50 REPLIES 50

Just received my 10 year badge from eBay......so I have been hitting that "UK Only" radio button for 10 years now.....*huff*!!!

Message 2 of 51
See Most Recent

I agree.  If I want to look at similar pieces of jewellery to the ones I am listing to get an idea of how to price, there will be 50-60 similar items, coming from India or China and starting at 1p, before I get to UK sellers.  Another idea would be to automatically offer items in the buyer's registered country FIRST.  Next to UK sellers, I look competitive; compared to China and India, I don't.  I don't think Ebay are in the business of listening to suggestions though, however long or hard you try.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 3 of 51
See Most Recent

How right you are.  Having to set a default every time you open the app means it's not a default!

Ebay just don't listen - they obviously want to encourage business from China.

Message 4 of 51
See Most Recent

Suggestion: next time you get to the search you desire, bookmark it. Then, next time, you simply have to open the bookmarked page, and voila!

Over promise, then under deliver = negative buyer experience, INR cases, unhappy buyers and sellers.
Under promise, then over deliver = Positive buyer experience, joy and happiness all round. 
If only eBay could get their heads round this basic concept, this would be a happier place for all.
Message 5 of 51
See Most Recent

HiThanks for the suggestion.  It's great if you always want the same search, but it's pathetic that eBay won't allow a default setting - in my case "UK Only" - that would work for any search.RegardsSent from my Galaxy
Message 6 of 51
See Most Recent

Somewhere, in the dim and distant past, I seem to remember finding a way to do this, but I just can't recall it at the moment. I'll rack my brains and see if anything surfaces.

Over promise, then under deliver = negative buyer experience, INR cases, unhappy buyers and sellers.
Under promise, then over deliver = Positive buyer experience, joy and happiness all round. 
If only eBay could get their heads round this basic concept, this would be a happier place for all.
Message 7 of 51
See Most Recent

Just stumbled across this info. Personally, I don't use the app, so can't vouch for it, but maybe someone can try it and report back?

"If you use the eBay app, there is a way to lock the filter settings so that you only see results with a UK item location. First enable lockable filters using the customize filter option, then tap the padlock by the filter setting you want to lock."

Message 8 of 51
See Most Recent

sellers in China etc pay to have their items shown on ebay.co.uk 

if ebay allowed UK only as a default they would be in breach of contract

Message 9 of 51
See Most Recent

Hi

I'm probably just dim, but how do I "enable lockable filters"?

Regards
Message 10 of 51
See Most Recent

As I say, I don't use the app myself, but take a look at this thread, and hopefully it will answer your question:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Android-App/Filters-lock-not-working/td-p/31039807

Message 11 of 51
See Most Recent

Found it. 

Look at the bottom of your filters tab there is a customise button. Press that then lockable filters. Hey presto a padlock will appear when you select a filter. If you want to lock it just tap the padlock

Message 12 of 51
See Most Recent

A bit late to this, but I'm also being driven crazy by the "default" option. I've followed the advice here and locked it for UK only on my App so at least browsing there is an improvement!

Message 13 of 51
See Most Recent

Gotta love this thread. A few thousand keystrokes used discussing how to avoid having to make two clicks. 🤣

Message 14 of 51
See Most Recent

I think it's more to do with buying something from abroad in error and ending up with customs charges you weren't expecting.

Message 15 of 51
See Most Recent

It was a great but if advice but unfortunately I just tried it three times, three different searches, 3 times closing and opening the app in between. I tried setting the lock option both before and after applying UK filters, still no go.

Ebay obviously will not allow this option...

Message 16 of 51
See Most Recent

Wow this really works thank you.

Message 17 of 51
See Most Recent

You've been on here long enough to know that the "Default" setting actually means "UK & China" 🙂

Message 18 of 51
See Most Recent

That's china's sellers tough *bleep*, I'm sick of getting coned to buy from what I thought was UK only having to wait 4 weeks for a slow boat from China to turn up. 

Message 19 of 51
See Most Recent

Thats 2 clicks wasted time and time again, not to mention all that extra data being used to 'provide' (force) stuff a user'd not interested in clogging up the internet and the energy used from teh serach to end users compter - not exactly enviromentally considerate.
Also if you wanted results out of a country e.g. uk, then conversely its only one click to select elsewhere, e.g. world - that'd be at least be a repeated 50% click saving wouldn't it.

Message 20 of 51
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: