Once again an auction is removed before it ends

It's become a bit of a joke now, if any seller dosen't like the way an auction is going they can just end it without any obligation to sell. What is the point of calling anything an auction when ebay clearly allows any selling auction to be pulled. My latest experience is an entire kitchen has been lost or broken LMAO !! seriously, don't even need a sensible excuse to stop an auction.....................................anyone remember the classic " My dog ate my homework" ?  Pathetic ebay

Message 1 of 16
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

if you put a bid in early at the starting price at least they would have to pay the fees if finishing early.

as others have said you cant make the seller sell even if you did win with a last minute bid

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 16
See Most Recent
15 REPLIES 15

What do you suggest that eBay can do to compel the seller to complete the auction?

If you won the auction how could eBay compel the seller to complete the transaction?

eBay also has no way to compel you to pay.

I think your anger is misplaced... it should be directed at the sellers.

Message 2 of 16
See Most Recent

In the 'good old days' of eBay, there were penalties that could be placed against sellers, such as being able to leave negative ratings, accounts would be disabled following repeated bad practice etc. I think eBay should at least impose the selling fees if the seller 'changes their mind'.

Message 3 of 16
See Most Recent

I think eBay should at least impose the selling fees if the seller 'changes their mind'.

Indeed they do if there is already a bid on the item. If there are no bids, or if it's a buy it now and has not yet been sold, the seller is doing nothing wrong by withdrawing the item from sale

******************************************************************************************
Powered by cats Cat Happy
Message 4 of 16
See Most Recent

I suggest an Auction be like most other auctions, I mean, it's an old concept that ebay has devalued with it's own rules. Auctions and auction houses have been going for an awful long time, maybe use the same rules instead of allowing get out loop holes. It's a waste of everyone;s time. The seller's can't change the rules, maybe I'm right on this one.

Message 5 of 16
See Most Recent

Yes, something needs to be done, I have had more auctions ended early, than I have seen completed at the time stated, it's far to easy for any seller to do this, zero comeback if they do. Auctions are becoming obsolete and a waste of time on ebay

Message 6 of 16
See Most Recent

This item was an entire 2nd hand kitchen made up of many units, the reason for ending early was lost or broken. Haha, clearly very difficult to lose or brake so many items all at once, not even sure how you lose an entire kitchen. And even if ebay took their fee, (fairly sure they don't these days) the buyer's time is lost.

Message 7 of 16
See Most Recent

Did you actually bid on the kitchen?

Message 8 of 16
See Most Recent

I've bought quite a few items barely a minute before the auction ends. As I normally bid much earlier, assuming I know an item's for sale, these last-minute purchases occurred because some of my Saved Searches are set up to search for Auction, and to search Ending Soonest. That means occasional serendipity when at times I can do recreational buying.

If the seller isn't already known to me, however, I have to let items whose auctions end in under a minute, because I can't go and check their profile/feedback in time. It shouldn't stop some, though, as I have a prehistoric computer and deteriorating eyesight.

I appreciate that many sellers set items to relist automatically, so it's possible (but not guaranteed) that item will show up again.

Therefore, I'd've thought that it's in a seller's interest to let an auction run to the end, as I very much doubt I'm the only one doing this.

Also, some buyers notice an item up for auction days before the auction ends, but prefer to bid last minute (or even in the last few seconds), so a seller can't know if an item would sell or would reach a good price until the auction's ended.

If a seller hopes for a particular price, maybe set the start price at that price or close to it?

Last but not least, as most auctions seem to last for 7 days, often weekend to weekend, there tends to be a dead time midweek (people at work or otherwise occupied, or preferring to wait until near the end of the auction). I'm wondering if some sellers start feeling a bit down when nothing happens mid-week, especially if no one bid when the auction started.

Message 9 of 16
See Most Recent

Whilst there may be a genuine reason for ending an auction early, I believe most are ended as a seller just doen't know how to place an auction.

That is , many think adding a Buy it Now price is the ' reserve' that it cannot sell for less and that it remains throughout an auction not realising once a bid is placed it disappears and the auction runs on in auction style only with bidding, in fairness to the other bidders.

As said, nothing to enforce a seller not to withdraw an auction sale,  but penalties and seller fees will be applied if there are bids on the item.

Message 10 of 16
See Most Recent

if you put a bid in early at the starting price at least they would have to pay the fees if finishing early.

as others have said you cant make the seller sell even if you did win with a last minute bid

Message 11 of 16
See Most Recent

I understand that I have to just accept how the rules are used, but I'm sure most buyers have been following items that suddenly end and find it more than a little annoying. And yes, an early bid dose not stop this from happening. I've had items with bids on get pulled.

Message 12 of 16
See Most Recent

Not this time, but if I had placed a £1 bid on, what would the fee be for the seller to end the auction ?

Message 13 of 16
See Most Recent

It would be 12.8% of whatever the highest bid was at, no matter what the starting bid was.

******************************************************************************************