INR case process

I placed an order on my private account before Easter. The seller marked it dispatched, nothing arrived and ghosted me on messages when I asked for the Royal Mail tracking number. I opened an INR case, they have started to communicate and finally gave me tracking which shows it was posted at a Post Office and there is no update since. I have contacted Royal Mail and have been able to establish that the address they have is accurate so I have softened my stance on it a bit as I was sceptical due to how flaky the seller was being. 

I can ask eBay to step in on the 6th. Royal Mail told me they class it as lost on the 9th so to be fair I've said to the seller I won't ask eBay to step in until the 9th if nothing changes.

My question is was I right to say that to them? Will eBay automatically close the case without seller resolution on the 6th or will it wait for me to escalate it? I have no experience with this as I never let my own INR cases time out. 

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

INR case process

They have to refund you by the 6th or eBay will (if you ask them to step in)

At the very least they'd have to provide proof of delivery for it to go in their favour by that date (which they won't be able to if it's lost).  

If it were me, depending on reputation of the seller, I'd give it til the 9th and then get eBay to step in and refund you. Still would be within the timeframe but if you choose to do so, only give it until that date, don't be fobbed off further. 

Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

INR case process

Thanks. As long as eBay don't automatically do it I'll wait until the 9th. 

The seller has some bad feedback for cancelling sales and quite a few of the positives were from a user with the same feedback score of 3 which I thought could be a friendly bidder. 

I wouldn't usually open an INR case so quickly but it got my back up that they would not respond.

The joys of eBay buying. 

Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

INR case process

Once a case is opened you have up to 21 business days to ask eBay to step in before it closes automatically if you do nothing.

As business days means not counting weekends you should have around 29 days in reality.

Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

INR case process

Likely the best way. I'd probably push eBay to step in sooner based on what you've said regarding their feedback , but if you aren't desperate for the item/money back ASAP, then eBay will still have you covered and guaranteed the refund on the 9th (and slightly beyond). 

Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

INR case process

Thanks that's good to know. 

I may have willed it into existence with this thread as Royal Mail have just delivered it 20 mins ago. Well, they knocked on my door and left it there so I caught the back end of their van driving away. 

It has taken 11 days to arrive. Royal Mail 1st Class Signed For medium parcel... I know a lot of sellers say how slow the service can be but I've never known anything like this myself. 

Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

INR case process

I'll test it later tonight. The packaging is shocking and a lot of flaws were carefully hidden in the listing so hopefully I don't need to return it. This will be my last eBay purchase for a while I think.

Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: