Automatic payment for offers doesnt allow for Pay In 3 on Paypal

Hi, 

ive noticed recently we have to add default payment type for when we make offers - however if they offer is accepted the automatic payment just goes through - what if i want to pay in 3 via Paypal? I do not want it to auto payment but there is no way of making an offer without payment type set up

Please help 

Message 1 of 18
See Most Recent
17 REPLIES 17

I can't help, but I do have the same question if anyone knows the answer please?

Message 2 of 18
See Most Recent

I don't know if this will help at all but I recently asked paypal to remove 'pay in 3'  from my account as I've been finding it a little too tempting recently and overdoing the treats a wee bit because of it. 

The paypal CS rep I got replied that they couldn't remove my access to pi3 as it is not an automatic function of paypal checkout, its something the vendor chooses to offer, they just approve the buyer for it on application. He then said if I didn't want access to credit I could just choose not to use it - Put your big girl pants on and don't buy things you can't afford, basically!

Long story short, maybe ebay could not, or chose not to activate pi3 for this type of pre approved transaction.

Message 3 of 18
See Most Recent

I'm looking to remove this, it's killing the way i pay as it's all coming out of my main account. I deleted ebay before because PayPal was removed, and I'm leaning on going elsewhere again because this is forcing me to pay from one account, instead of being able to choose how i pay. 

If anyone knows if there's a way to turn this off, it would be greatly appreciated. Ebay has turned into a weird beast over the last 18 months, defintely find Facebook Marketplace a much better alternative, as it's more in alignment with how eBay used to be and you can pay how ever you like - it's not just taking money without authorisation. 

Message 4 of 18
See Most Recent

I hate you can't use PayPal Pay in 3 for auto pay. Puts me off buying things from sellers so in my opinion the seller is being penalised and really should be the one to complain as they'll lose sales.

I spoke to an ebay rep somewhere in the world I've never been but doubt anything I said would passed on. Personally I hate ebay these days with all the costs, rules and regs. We need an alternative. 

Message 5 of 18
See Most Recent

Automatic payments is something sellers opt into to require the buyer to provide a payment method before making an offer.

However sneaky eBay has switched it on for sellers and not told them.

Once the buyer has provided their payment method eBay apply it automatically to any further offers the buyer makes.

Buyers can stop automatic payments being used but eBay makes it hard to do.

To stop debit card auto payments you have to go to your eBay payment page in account settings and remove your debit card then add it again.

To stop PayPal automatic payments log into your PayPal account, go into settings to payments and under automatic payments find the one for eBay and cancel it.

It doesn't remove it completely from PayPal but makes it inactive so eBay can't use it.

There are lots of posts about this, here's one https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Buying/making-an-offer/td-p/7440610 

And this is another https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Buying/auto-pay-on-send-an-offer-items/td-p/7463228 

Message 6 of 18
See Most Recent

I simply will not make a purchase from eBay whilst automatic payments (from PayPal) continues to be a thing.

eBay continues to take the proverbial with how it thinks it's going to operate - rules, regs, obligations, the lack of user (Buyer/Seller) control, fees and charges of all types.

Already buying elsewhere and using alterntive speciality stores to list items for sale.

A case of a company getting too big for its britches and becoming hubristic! 

Message 7 of 18
See Most Recent

Hi, 

I am not saying that this is the case with you as an individual but it was brought in to stop people making offers, which are then accepted by the seller, and then the buyer decides not to pay.

As a seller i can tell you it is frustrating. 

Again, i am not saying that this is the case with you personally but it does happen frequently. 

Thanks 

Message 8 of 18
See Most Recent

@simon191178 wrote:

Hi, 

I am not saying that this is the case with you as an individual but it was brought in to stop people making offers, which are then accepted by the seller, and then the buyer decides not to pay.

As a seller i can tell you it is frustrating. 

Again, i am not saying that this is the case with you personally but it does happen frequently. 

Thanks 

Yes but automatic payments for offers was supposedly something sellers could opt into, which is fine if that's what the seller wants.

What's not so fine is when eBay ticks the box in buyer requirements for many sellers so they're opted into it without their knowledge.

Message 9 of 18
See Most Recent

Hi, 

I am not disputing that if it is happening, i am just giving an explanation to the OP as to why it was introduced in the first place. 

Thanks

Simon

Message 10 of 18
See Most Recent

Yeah having same issue, can't use PayPal credit or Pay in 3 for best offers anymore. No idea why they've done this. For me it just feels like they've been lazy and not added the necessary code for it to be an option. But I imagine there's probably an unethical reason hovering in the background 

Message 11 of 18
See Most Recent

This is still ongoing and still annoying. 

I've manged to find in my settings the option to turn this off for all my sales so buyers can send offers without needing to pay up front. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Ebay should inform sellers they have this option to adjust (toggle) on and off so that a potential buyer wanting to use pay in 3 can.

Every time I want to make an offer now I have to email seller, verbally make the offer and ask them to either adjust price if willing or send me an offer! Not a great way to conduct business. 

Ebay wake the **** up! 🙏

Message 12 of 18
See Most Recent

I think it was done with good intentions,  to lessen the number of non payers , sellers face.

However,  it does have a lot of failings, whether these will be addressed is for all to see.

Presently,  you cannot use PayPal credit, combine postage, have cash on collection,  change the delivery address,  use coupons, use Click and Collect,   or use an alternative payment method when using the Global Shipping Programme.

On paper, there does seem to be more disadvantages than advantages with this ' feature'.  As said hopefully some / all of the above can be rectified.

Message 13 of 18
See Most Recent

Failings and cost continue to grow. 

I keep away from the Global Shipping Programme. I don't offer it and I don't buy anything from outside the UK now. When they implemented all the additional costs on top (20% VAT), price hikes on postage, which seemed to coincide with brexit/covid I just gave up. It I was buying a $10 dvd/blu-ray say I'd be paying 4 times the cost on top just for shipping.

I did walk away from Ebay once after 15 years and thousands of feedback but needed to sell again. I think it won't be long before I do it again.  🤔

Take care all. 

Message 14 of 18
See Most Recent

Tell me about it I noticed this change in October I successfully autopaid using PayPal checkout were the option to pay in 3 or use PayPal credit was there all of a sudden it now takes full payment the issue i see is they have changed the checkout to read PayPal account rather than simply PayPal it does stop you using the PayPal options that you can use at normal checkout spike to a team leader today who denied this said the problem is with PayPal. No you buy anywere and it shows PayPal box not have PayPal account wrote at the  side of it  problem is not PayPal at all otherwise I woundnt get these options on checking out normally 

Message 15 of 18
See Most Recent

just came across this problem, turns out I will not be making that offer after all, thanks ebay!

Message 16 of 18
See Most Recent

Just adding myself to the list;

1.  Hate auto pay

2. Can't  use PayPal credit (why not?)

3. So therefore I don't make the offer at all - eBay and the seller loses the sale.

4. As a seller I don't know where the setting is, and my customers now expect auto pay to be there by default so don't bother making offers.  

Since auto pay was introduced my sales have had a noticeable drop as most sales come from offers.  Offers now are typically 50%-70% of the item value (I set the buy now based on the average completed sale price then get offers at a fraction of this).

Ebay as a customer for 20 years - please change this!

Message 17 of 18
See Most Recent

Point 4. the link is https://www.ebay.co.uk/bmgt/buyerrequirements make sure the last one is unchecked

Buyer payment requirements.jpg

Message 18 of 18
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: