Irrelevant Search Results

Entered "screw" in search bar.

Several car headlight listings appeared before anything with "screw" in the listing title.

"Morris minor headlight bezels" does not have screw in the listing title!  So why am I seeing this?

WYLEX 32 AMP CURVE B 3 KA MCB CIRCUIT BREAKER PUSH PLUG IN SK does not have screw in the title.  Why am I seeing this?

Sod it.  Purchased what I wanted from screwfix in under a minute.  May have been able to get them cheaper from an ebay vendor but I'll never know without spending ages trawling through the search filters.

Ok so I may have been able to find screws if I had been more specific in the search, but even that does not work

For instance, search Eufy 1080p floodlight gives hundreds of Ring, Swan or other manufacturers security cameras, but I specifically asked for Eufy!

What on earth are ebay playing at?

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

Sadly it's a problem that occurs with a lot of website search engines, eBay is not unique to this issue, but a strong well functioning search engine should be considered essential to their business, one would have expected them to make it as effective as possible! Alas they have not!

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

eBay considers any listing with your keywords in the title or item-specifics to be a potential match for your search. Putting a keyword in quotes should bypass any keyword corrections or substitutions, if that is an issue.

If you are just entering screw into the search bar and searching, your search is underspecified.

You probably also had to do a little more specifying and filtering than that at Screwfix.

Using additional keywords, selecting an appropriate category, and then, if necessary, using some category-specific filters should allow you to find what you are looking for and avoid the things you are not.

I get exactly one result that ships to a chosen UK location when searching Eufy 1080p floodlight with no other specifying, though:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sop=10&_from=R40&_fcid=3&_nkw=Eufy+1080p+floodlight&_sacat=0

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

It seems you're searching by newly listed rather than price or relevance. Click on "Sort: Newly listed" to change that. Also check that "Include description" is unticked.

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

Is this a wind up "thread" .

Geddit 🤣

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: