VAT Deregistration

My rolling 12 month sales total is well under £80K and I want to deregister.

I have been watching this board for some time now and noted how some have had accounts suspended or even deleted over this. I would obviously rather continue paying vat if deregistering is going to cause me problems. But I don't see why I should be vat registered otherwise.

So what to do? 

I will probably phone ebay tomorrow to speak with a rep - though what the rep says and what Ebay do could be different.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 27
See Most Recent
26 REPLIES 26

Re: VAT Deregistration

katie@ebay wrote:

Certificate or letter can be used interchangeably here and they are one and the same.

Well, I'll disagree with that. HMRC do issue certificates; they say "Certificate" on them - one such certificate being a VAT registration certificate. However, they do not issue a "VAT deregistration certificate"; only a letter (or an online confirmation) to confirm deregistration.

Somewhat bizarrely, I believe the online version of the VAT Certificate actually does show if a business has subsequently deregistered...but eBay don't accept online documents as proof! 

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 21 of 27
See Most Recent

katie@ebay
Employee (Retired)

Thank you for your engagement here.

I wanted to provide the information from the VAT team here so you can have all the details available to me.

The letter is what is needed @4_bathrooms, this is what they have confirmed with me.

Thanks,

Katie 

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 22 of 27
See Most Recent

I need to change my preferences on my online vat account to communication by post.

Message 23 of 27
See Most Recent

Hi,

You can de-register from VAT and request Vat cancellation or de-registration letter from HMRC posted to your business address (note that this address must be same on eBay). Once you receive this letter, forward it to ukbusinnescompliance@ebay.com and they'll grant you a temporary exemption from adding a UK Value Added Tax (VAT) number to your eBay account.

The keyword here is 'temporary' because you'll be required to provide new VAT cancellation letter every year from HMRC.

I am currently in this loop and it's mind boggling to say the least. The only way to avoid this loop is by opening a new seller account.

Hope this helps.

Message 24 of 27
See Most Recent

Well I got this when I  Deregistration for VAT back in 2018Vat De Reg Cert.JPG

Message 25 of 27
See Most Recent

Hi, how did you get on with this? I'm in the same predicament but can't seem to speak to the right person in hmrc who can provide the letter eBay want? 

Message 26 of 27
See Most Recent

We know what the level is but ebay's position is that anyone with a turnover beyond 10 grand may have other businesses that jointly take them over the threshold. The 10 thousand is Ebay's own made up figure and I was told that no one at ebay can apply comon sense until I can resolve this. meanwhile I have a warehouse with 10s of thousand of pounds worth of stock that I cannot sell on ebay.

Message 27 of 27
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: