Using tracked Royal Mail 24/48 for the first time

Once I purchase the postage label from eBay with Royal Mail tracked 24 or 48 as the selected postage service, what happens next? Does a postman come to collect my item without me having to do anything else? And what's the difference between tracked 24 and Tracked 48? What are all the things each of them offer?

Message 1 of 12
See Most Recent
11 REPLIES 11

You just need to book a collection day .

Then you will have the option of printing the labels yourself or having them brought by the postie.

Make sure you are in to hand your parcels or letters over 
You then get an email to say that it's been collected . Keep it as your proof of posting in case of dispute 

send by  track 24 if more valuable or breakable 

48 is quite quick for less expensive or un breakable things 

Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

Thank you for the response, but where do I do all of this? On Royal Mail's  website? Where do I pay? If so and this doesn't involve going onto eBay then shall I just mark the item as dispatched?

Message 3 of 12
See Most Recent

@abtvstock wrote:

Once I purchase the postage label from eBay with Royal Mail tracked 24 or 48 as the selected postage service, what happens next? Does a postman come to collect my item without me having to do anything else? 

You need to print out the label and attach it to the package making sure you do not put any tape over the QR code or barcode (that includes clear tape) as tape can prevent the label being scanned. If you don't have a printer you can take the item to a Post Office counter with the QR code that you should receive via email; the PO counter can scan the QR code (open it on your mobile device) and print the label for you.

I'm not sure if you get the option to have your postie collect the item and bring the label with them if you purchase the label via eBay. You do if you purchase the label from Royal Mail's website but this won't automatically mark the item as despatched on eBay; you'll need to enter the tracking number manually if you purchase from RM's website (the price is the same).

You must receive an acceptance scan within your stated despatch time - either at the PO counter or your postie scanning on collection. This will help you avoid a late delivery defect even if the item is delivered late. 

@abtvstock wrote:

And what's the difference between tracked 24 and Tracked 48? What are all the things each of them offer?

Tracked 24 is intended to be a one working day service whilst Tracked 48 is intended to be a two working day service; i.e. 24 hour & 48 hour. However, the reality is often quite different and Royal Mail don't guarantee this. eBay will probably show your buyer an "estimated delivery date" that suggests those timescales are guaranteed.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

You do not have to be physically there to hand over the packages. There is a choice on the 'where is your item' or however it is worded. You can choose 'leave in an enclosed space (again, might be the wrong wording on the site).

I leave mine in the hallway, never been an issue. The door is unlocked, but if you have a porce, they'll suss it out - perhaps the first few times leave a note on the door to guide them.

Message 5 of 12
See Most Recent

Click and Drop RM website. It is very easy to navigate and pay.

Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

Are Post Offices now able to accept Royal Mail 24 and 48 tracked ? Everything I tried to give them except Returns it wouldn't scan on their system so had to visit a Royal Mail delivery office counter.

So has this now changed so post offices and sub post offices accept these labels now.  

Be great if someone can clear up this unclear Royal Mail, eBay Post Office all of them do not make it clear cut.

Also some people say' they just stick them in a street postbox 📮 but surely this cancels insurance cover.

Any clear cut help appreciated. 👍

Message 7 of 12
See Most Recent

Hi  I use Royal Mail but I go onto the website direct  I then go through the steps adding Buyers address my address,  when I want the parcels picked up.  and then check out paying with my card,  you get the option for the Postman / Woman to collect from my door,  and get them to bring my label.  it is fast and easy I have had no problems doing it this way.  I can also instantly add the tracking to the sold item,  and get updates from Royal mail throughout from my door to the buyers door.

Kind regards

Robert

Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent

@jacemodernist3 wrote:

Are Post Offices now able to accept Royal Mail 24 and 48 tracked ?

According to Royal Mail they can be. However, you might want to check with the specific Post Office counter before turning up with a pile of RM24/RM48.

The Tracked services used to be available to Royal Mail account holders only; when they were purely business (not retail) services they couldn't be dropped off at a PO counter. However, Royal Mail have since introduced "non-account" Tracked services that can be purchased via eBay or Royal Mail's website directly; I believe PO counters have been accepting Tracked items since their introduction.

Message 9 of 12
See Most Recent

Cheers for the replies I think I will have to do a test on the ebay 48 label on something large letter and if the post office doesn't accept it, I'll drop it in a postbox to see what becomes of it, if it's returned to me or delivered without any updates or issues. Like you say' that service was business accounts and you had to hit a certain amount of parcels daily weekly etc.  Via the Royal Mail website it asks for recipients phone number and email address which I wouldn't have unless I contact a buyer or they have the details on account, I know via Ebay 48 label they will have the information necessary.

But still it's not made easy for people to understand if they can use the service. 

I will let you know if and when it works OK. 

Message 10 of 12
See Most Recent

@jacemodernist3 wrote:

if the post office doesn't accept it, I'll drop it in a postbox to see what becomes of it, if it's returned to me or delivered without any updates or issues.

The issue with dropping it into a postbox is there will not be an acceptance scan. This means depending upon when it gets scanned at the receiving DO eBay might automatically give you an orange "late delivery" blob because the "item wasn't despatched on time".   

Also note that under the terms for non-account Tracked services you require an acceptance scan to make a compensation claim - this typically means a Certificate of Posting from a Post Office counter or a collection scan from a postie. If the item vanishes after you post it you will likely be unable to claim anything from Royal Mail.

Message 11 of 12
See Most Recent

Hi, sorry for delayed reply and thank you for your input. 

Right so I done a Large Letter via ebay service Tracked 48 printed the label at home. Tracking number was added item dispatched,  buyeer notified.

Royal Mail tracking item advised dispatched to us.  I went to the local shop / post office item scanned, received my proof of posting. Checked Royal Mail website tracking minutes later ( We Got It) accepted at parcel shop.  Ebay accepted at Parcel Shop so what I did notice was on the label 

far more details automatically added to the label that I don't like to see. Things like phone numbers and full names. If I send via Royal Mail I have a send to return to no telephone details or even full names.  GDP is something that ebay labels are lacking so I removed these myself. 

Message 12 of 12
See Most Recent