Repay following a refund

Bidder wins auction

Bidder pays.

(I) Seller ships.

Reasonable Delivery time elapses.

Bidder asks where item is.

Tracking shows still in hands of Mailing agent.

Seller and Buyer agree to wait and see.

Another week passes, Seller refunds bidder fully.

( I care about my customers and dont want them to suffer for no fault of their own).

A further week later, Item arrives according to Bidder, who wants to pay again.

How do i proceed? In the good days, it would have just been a direct Paypal payment (seconds of a process)- but i know not how now?

Message 1 of 18
See Most Recent
17 REPLIES 17

Repay following a refund

papso22
Experienced Mentor

It can be done however you like, ebay are not interested, the only problem is that they may stop messages with the paypal email address in unless that is emailed to your business email on your listings.

If Paypal isn't an option, they could send you a cheque. 

Message 2 of 18
See Most Recent

Repay following a refund

I ask them to buy again and then mark dispatched using the original tracking number that's already delivered.  If it a one off item, I put a really silly high price and get them to use best offer to buy at the agreed price.

Message 3 of 18
See Most Recent

Repay following a refund

Thanks for getting back to. 

Yes there is the option of a Cheque or even Postal Order, or cash in envelope, i was just wondering if ebay had deemed to be helpful and have a simple system as we used to use in the past. A tad fanciful i know. - thanks again.

Message 4 of 18
See Most Recent

Repay following a refund

Thanks for that - i only sell via auction on ebay  these days - (other platforms are a lot cheaper on fees and more reliable than ebay).

The process you outline seems rather drawn out, when compared to a simple resending via Paypal we used to use in the better days.

Thanks though ofr your offering of help.

Message 5 of 18
See Most Recent

Repay following a refund

They could simply send a Paypal payment to the email address shown on your listings if it is linked to your Paypal account

Message 6 of 18
See Most Recent

Repay following a refund

Ah thats a good idea - i didnt know my email address was visible - i assume my buyers email is not visible? id just have to tell them in messages.

Saves fees too i assume. Thanks

Message 7 of 18
See Most Recent

Repay following a refund

It's under your address at the bottom of your listings, the buyer has to click Contact details and your email appears. No, you cannot see the buyers email but if you go to the listing you should be able to message them  

Message 8 of 18
See Most Recent

Repay following a refund

The simplest way would be to just provide them with your bank details (name on account, account number, and sortcode) so they can do a bank transfer.   This is the same information as found on a cheque so is perfectly secure. 

Message 9 of 18
See Most Recent

Repay following a refund

As long as you go through messages directly on the item purchased, you can send your PayPal address, or ask for the buyer's PayPal address so that you can send an invoice.

All perfectly within the rules and eBay will have no problem with this information being sent.

Message 10 of 18
See Most Recent

Repay following a refund

I find bank transfer is a good solution for most buyers.

Or  you could send them an invoice with your payment details on.

Occasionally buyers have sent me cheques, cash, postal orders and even postage stamps to settle up.  It's daft that eBay don't have any sort of "repayment" facility.

Cesario, the Count's gentleman
Message 11 of 18
See Most Recent

Repay following a refund

im surprised you suggest that- ive had messages blocked by ebay - in fact only yesterday on a buying account - for including an email address, unless ebay are selective?

Message 12 of 18
See Most Recent

Repay following a refund

There have been reports of eBay stopping post sale messages for including contact details, shouldn't happen, but it appears to.

Message 13 of 18
See Most Recent

Repay following a refund

@ojewellery wrote:

I ask them to buy again and then mark dispatched using the original tracking number that's already delivered.  If it a one off item, I put a really silly high price and get them to use best offer to buy at the agreed price.

Just as a point of information, this is the only 'ebay-legal' way (I think). As it is the one method that allows ebay it's (rightful) bite of the cherry in fees. Any of the other methods if discovered could result in an 'off ebay sales' argument; although I doubt eBay would chase it very seriously (even if they discovered it)

Message 14 of 18
See Most Recent

Repay following a refund

@papso22 wrote:

There have been reports of eBay stopping post sale messages for including contact details, shouldn't happen, but it appears to.

It seems eBay has updated their member to member contact policy. It previously stated personal information could not be exchanged outside of a transaction (or something similar). This meant telephone numbers, email addresses, postal addresses etc. could be exchanged via eBay messages provided there had been a transaction between the parties. However, the policy now states:

"

• Exchange any personal information (except names), including email addresses, phone numbers, payment information, social media links or accounts, or other contact information

"

And:

"We also don't allow members to exchange email addresses, phone numbers or other contact information, web addresses, or links within eBay messaging systems (for example, Best Offer or My Messages) or in any email communication managed by eBay, and all types of content posted on eBay by users, including listings, feedback, and reviews."

Which makes me wonder how anyone is supposed to arrange collection of a "collection only" item without breaching the letter of the policy...

Also, as eBay doesn't have a way for a seller to request payment after a refund has been issued sellers are potentially left in a bit of a pickle policy-wise if they voluntarily refund a buyer via a case. A voluntary refund means eBay's fees are credited so if the buyer is honest and pays up once their item arrives it has technically become an off-eBay sale through no fault of the seller.  

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 15 of 18
See Most Recent

Repay following a refund

I shall polish my halo for being eBay-legal (or attempting to be). 

The reason I do it is problematic transactions are massive time syncs and ones I want to have a very clear full record of whats gone on.  My finance systems are fully automated.  If the repurchase is through eBay everything tallies through to my management and ultimately financial systems.  Doing a manual sale means I also need to do a manual stock adjust, then manual payment adjustment and sales receipt upload to Xero.  In most instances that'd take more of my time which if equated to minimum wage is probably more than the eBay fee cost so it just stacks up.

Message 16 of 18
See Most Recent

Repay following a refund

It's absolutely ridiculous that despite all the managed payment processes eBay have introduced, they didn't bother to include a process for buyer repayment after an item has been delivered late.

Not only that, but they actvely prevent you from communicating ways for the buyer to make that payment. Of course, to get around it you just message the buyer to look at your business details and contact you via 'e ma i l' (make sure to include spaces so the message doesn't get blocked).

Then you can send them a Paypal invoice. Which means eBay don't get their fees, but I'm sorry, it's their own fault for neglecting to include a vital function in their payment system.

Message 17 of 18
See Most Recent

Repay following a refund

As with many systems ebay create, the 'designer' appears to have no knowledge or experience of ever having used the system , hence the glaring mal-functions they create - not a new scenario, but one ebay care not about.

Message 18 of 18
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: