Regulatory Operating Fee

Just seen the information on the Regulatory Operating Fee!!!

So...does this include private sellers?

Is this fee charged to sellers or buyers too?

Why is Ebay so expensive now?

Surely this additional fee is going to ruin things even more?

Ebay used to be so good, now sadly so bad

Message 1 of 21
See Most Recent
20 REPLIES 20

Regulatory Operating Fee

Correct me if i'm wrong, i don't think these fees apply to UK platform i think this applies if you sell on the european platforms i might be wrong

Message 2 of 21
See Most Recent

Regulatory Operating Fee

>From 8 April 2024, this new regulatory operating fee will apply to all sales from listings on the following sites: UK, Austria, Belgium, France, Italy, Ireland, Netherlands, Poland, Spain, and Switzerland.

Sent from Mail for Windows
Message 3 of 21
See Most Recent

Regulatory Operating Fee

@divine0606 wrote:

Correct me if i'm wrong, i don't think these fees apply to UK platform i think this applies if you sell on the european platforms i might be wrong

Very wrong!

It applies to ALL UK sellers (business & private)

Message 4 of 21
See Most Recent

Regulatory Operating Fee

Surely this additional fee is going to ruin things even more?

I think that ship has sailed!

Message 5 of 21
See Most Recent

Regulatory Operating Fee

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

It's 0.35%, which is a pretty small percentage. 

Message 6 of 21
See Most Recent

Regulatory Operating Fee

There are already 2 topics about this with heavy discussion.

So...does this include private sellers? Yes

Is this fee charged to sellers or buyers too? Sellers

Why is Ebay so expensive now? How long do you have on this?!

Surely this additional fee is going to ruin things even more? Yes, any increase will squeeze business sellers more. For me its an additional £800+ a year just from that "tiny teeny new unimportant fee".... Add that to the increase in taxation, cost of goods increase, cost of supplies increase and general doom and gloom and that fee is only going to come out of one thing, the money I pay myself.

Message 7 of 21
See Most Recent

Regulatory Operating Fee

Small yes, but the small additional fees add up. I can remember it being rediculously cheap to sell on Ebay, the fees over the years are going up by these small percentages and before you know it over 5 years the fees are 5-10% higher for many with promoted listings bleeding people dry.

A small business who has around £80k a year turnover to keep under the VAT threshold, for them thats an extra £4-£8k going to Ebay and not to themselves. Many can no longer afford to live from what would have been in the past, a pretty healthy turnover.

Message 8 of 21
See Most Recent

Regulatory Operating Fee

When you are struggling financially every penny matters. Pure greed is the last thing I need.

Message 9 of 21
See Most Recent

Regulatory Operating Fee

@*vyolla* wrote:

I assume it's going to be 0.35% (inc. VAT) for private sellers and 0.42% (inc. VAT) for business sellers.

Not a lot but still an unwelcome increase.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 10 of 21
See Most Recent

Regulatory Operating Fee

@*vyolla* wrote:

Death by 1000 cuts.

And yes I said cuts...

Message 11 of 21
See Most Recent

Regulatory Operating Fee

It's to make up for the shortfall caused by recent changes in UK law like everyone that sells over 30 items being reported to HMRC.

Now the ordinary working person doesn't want to risk being investigated even if they are doing nothing wrong so ebay are losing out hugely and the remaining sellers will now have to pay the price because of it

Message 12 of 21
See Most Recent

Regulatory Operating Fee

Hush, @*vyolla* .  Don't poke the eBay bear, or they'll be rounding it up to 1%.

Message 13 of 21
See Most Recent

Regulatory Operating Fee

To put into context a £0.99p sale on eBay equates to £0.25p in fees.

Message 14 of 21
See Most Recent

Regulatory Operating Fee

@shinycards1 wrote:

It's to make up for the shortfall caused by recent changes in UK law like everyone that sells over 30 items being reported to HMRC.

Now the ordinary working person doesn't want to risk being investigated even if they are doing nothing wrong so ebay are losing out hugely and the remaining sellers will now have to pay the price because of it

Pure conjecture and not what eBay says it's for.

If you just think this is the reason behind it, say 'think', please don't state things as facts unless you know they are.

The only reason eBay may currently be losing out from private sellers is because they have chosen to run a massive free selling promotion for them.  There is no evidence that the sales reporting regulations have had real impact, any such 'evidence' comes from some comments on these boards.

Message 15 of 21
See Most Recent

Regulatory Operating Fee

You think?  Nowt pretty about it -  its ANOTHER 0.35% plus VAT on turnover - so if you were making 25% net profit last year - its will be close to 24% this year, all things being equal.  And things are not equal, we have inflation and other increased eBay fees to deal with.

Message 16 of 21
See Most Recent

Regulatory Operating Fee

@the-nutwood-collection wrote:

Hush, @*vyolla* .  Don't poke the eBay bear, or they'll be rounding it up to 1%.

I bet that's already pencilled-in for next year, or at best the year after.  Another cash cow to be milked for all it's worth.

Message 17 of 21
See Most Recent

Regulatory Operating Fee

Let's say the 99p is CIP or free postage so we don't bother with postage costs. Current fee for private seller is 30p+12.8%=43p. With the new fee it's the same or a penny more.

A business seller probably earns more, so how would a seller make profit with 56p including postage in addition to purchase cost? Answer: they don't 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115641862898?itmmeta=01HQGW97RGP6MP6194WVQDKHSX&hash=item1aeccacaf2:g:5PM...

Message 18 of 21
See Most Recent

Regulatory Operating Fee

Regulatory Operating Fee

That seller's reasoning is relatively clearly to be shown as the lowest priced listing in search results. No more, no less.

The poster sizes that the vast majority of people will want are £8.99 to £12.99. Very few people are out there trying to buy an A5-sized "poster." But listing at 99p gets them to click on the listing, where they will then most likely purchase one of the more profitable sizes.

If they do end up buying the 99p item, the seller loses a couple of pence here or there for the attempt.

Message 20 of 21
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: